XXXVIII. The Start of the War of the Five Kings

Start from the beginning

Where Tywin was cold and only saw Jaime as his heir, before he became a Kingsguard; Visenya saw him as a young man, who enjoyed certain things in life. Ever since he was young, he could remember her presence even before she married his father and he did have her in a higher regard.

There was silence from her side for a moment. "Who told you it was my plan?" she asked him but then lifted her hand to stop him, already having an answer. "It was Kevan, wasn't it?"

"He does have a soft spot for me, sometimes" Jaime confessed.

Another silence, her face hard to read but then; she exhaled. "I will accept your apology, for running a plan you did not know of" she started, her tone softer than before. "However, I do find the attack rather reckless. You know that Lions are never let their emotions control them" she reminded him, although even she felt wrong quoting those words.

She let her emotions control her more than once and they still did. She could expect nothing else from Jaime, who had obtained his mother's kindness and had a soft spot for Tyrion; compared to his twin.

Her words seemed to ease him, some tension at the base of his neck disappearing. "I know and I do expect Father will tell me the same thing once he chooses to speak to me"

She rolled her eyes and crossed her legs, lifting one knee slightly higher as she turned a little sideways on the chair. "Your father is dramatic when he wants to be." She confessed, making him crack the faintest of smiles. "Do not wait for him to come to you, for we both know he will not. When he is back from the hunt, go find him. Hear what you have to hear, say your part and then tell him you are ready for your mission"

This made him raise an eyebrow. "What mission?" he asked, clearly not knowing.

She motioned for him to sit and then used her hands to point at the map. "Your next mission that your father and I discussed earlier this morning. Or better say, I persuaded him to allow you to make up for King's Landing through this mission" she corrected herself and sat on the chair properly. She picked up a token. "You are to lead your own army against the river lords, Lord Vance and Lord Clement Piper" She placed the token on the map. "They have placed their army in the hills below the Golden Tooth. You take them down and head for the Riverrun"

Jaime was silent for a moment, thinking it through before he nodded. "How many?" he finally asked.

"30.000 men will be at your disposal" she started, shocking him by the sheer number of men they had ready to give him. "Make good use of your numbers and soldier variety Jaime. You are to have multiple battles and besiege Riverrun in the long run. Be smart about it and use what I taught you" she continued, reminding him of all those hours she spent with him when he was younger in explaining to him basic and smart military combat.

"What about you and my father?"

Another token was moved across the map. "30.000 men will remain under our command and we will hold the crossings over the Green Fork to deny the movements of Stark reinforcements into the Riverlands." She explained, giving him a quick detail of the plan.

After she finished explaining, Jaime understood just how far and big the couple had thought. How Tyrion's capture sealed the fate of their neighbours for now they were up against two of the brightest military minds in the recent Westerosi history.

"There are times such as these that I am thankful I am at your side, good-mother" Jaime finally said, choosing to joke as the mood around them changed to a less serious one.

Visenya smirked, leaning back on the chair once again. "My side or mine and your father's side? " she questioned him, making him chuckle since he saw through the game.