Chapter 115

Piccolo:

Piccolo restlessly searched the night sky again for any sign of Kera. The night was mild. The full moon was high in the sky. Only a light breeze caressed his body as he stood on the edge of the cliff. The small waterfall splashed beside him.

He could feel Kera. She was far away. The distance stretched the golden thread of their soul connection. It wasn't uncomfortable yet, but it was clearly noticeable.

Piccolo sighed. The children had been in bed for a long time and had asked about their mother. He could only answer them evasively that he didn't know when she would be back. That was unusual for her. Normally, she had set times when she was training with Vegeta or they agreed on how long each of them would be out, but the fact that she hadn't contacted him at all worried Piccolo.

He stared into nothingness for a while until he finally recognised the movement of her aura. He breathed a sigh of relief. She was fast and there seemed to be someone with her, but Piccolo couldn't really recognise her.

A second later, she was suddenly standing next to him.

"Supreme Kai!" he exclaimed in surprise when he recognised Kera's companion.

Kera smiled briefly at Piccolo, then bowed to the Supreme Kai. "Thank you very much."

The Supreme Kai smiled too, raised his hand in greeting and disappeared again the next moment.

Kera still had her back to Piccolo, so he touched her lightly on the shoulder. "What happened? Why was the Kaioshin with you?"

"Come on, let's sit down. I'll tell you everything."

She pointed to the edge of the platform and crossed her legs. Piccolo was unsure for a moment how to sit down. Did she want him to be very close to her or did she want to look him in the eye while she told him? Finally, he sat down opposite her, but so close that their knees were touching. He looked at her, waiting.

"I was with the Supreme Kai," she finally said.

Piccolo nodded. He had already guessed that. "How did you make contact with him?"

"I asked Kakarrot to take me to King Kai. I then made contact with the Supreme Kai through him. He took me into the world of the Supreme Kais."

Piccolo raised his eyebrows in surprise. The world of the Supreme Kais was sacred and not everyone was allowed in.

"I..." Kera faltered, as if she didn't know how to formulate the next sentence. "I asked him to accept me as his disciple."

Piccolo struggled to control his facial features. He hadn't expected this statement. His surprise gave way to anger. "Why didn't you talk to me before? This is a big change for you, for us, for the children. How can we live without you any longer?"

He instantly felt sorry for his words. He hadn't meant to sound so harsh. There was pain in Kera's eyes and she lowered her gaze.

"I'm sorry. I've been thinking about it the whole time, ever since..." Her voice failed her.

Piccolo reached for her hand and stroked the back of it with his thumb. "Then why didn't you talk to me?" he asked more gently.

She shrugged her shoulders. "I wanted to sort it out with myself first. Vegeta was with me today and I told him."

Piccolo felt a pang in his heart. She had confided in Vegeta, but not in him, her mate. Piccolo swallowed. It hurt more than he wanted to admit.

"And then?" Piccolo's voice sounded rough.

"He said that the Supreme Kai wouldn't take me as his disciple. Besides, it was my destiny to fight and not to heal."

"That's why you want to become his disciple? To be able to heal?"

"Yes. I want to do more than just fight with strength, energy and speed against someone who will be stronger anyway. That can't be everything."

Piccolo remained silent. He could understand her motives and yet he was hurt. She had preferred to talk to Vegeta and had made a decision on her own that affected her entire family.

"Why didn't you talk to me before?" he repeated his earlier question, hearing the half-suppressed reproach in his voice.

"I wasn't sure myself. And when I told Vegeta ... I don't know either. It was something of a skip."

"And what happens now?"

"Nothing at first. The Supreme Kai listened to me and then asked for time to think about it."

Piccolo breathed a sigh of relief. "So nothing will change for now?" he asked cautiously.

Kera looked up at him. She looked hurt. Probably because she had hoped that the Supreme Kai would immediately accept her as his disciple. "Please don't worry. I love you and I will always be by your side, no matter how far away I am."

Piccolo smiled and leaned forward to stroke her cheek with his hand. She snuggled up to his hand and closed her eyes.

- - - - - -

Kera:

It seemed to Kera that the next few weeks would drag on like chewing gum. She found it hard to concentrate. When she was out with her family or training with Vegeta or Kakarrot, she wasn't fully focussed and hoped every day that the Supreme Kai would finally turn up.

Four weeks had passed since she had been to see the Supreme Kai when he suddenly stood in front of her and looked at her seriously. Kera had just landed in front of Vegeta and Bulma's mansion, as she had an appointment to train with Vegeta.

"Supreme Kai. I wasn't expecting you," Kera said after the initial shock.

"I'm very sorry for keeping you waiting so long. I've come to tell you that I haven't been able to make a decision yet. Please give me more time to consider everything."

Kera wanted to reply that she didn't want to wait any longer, that she was impatient, that she wanted an answer immediately, but then she nodded slowly.

The Supremr Kai then disappeared without another word, leaving Kera disappointed and angry. She cried out loudly and sank to the ground. Furiously, she rammed her fists into the ground, leaving two small craters in the ground.

"What's got you so upset?"

Vegeta stood in the doorway of the terrace and looked at her.

Kera took a few deep breaths and noticed in the corner of her eye that her braid was turning from blue to black again. She hadn't even realised that she had transformed.

"The Supreme Kai still hasn't decided whether he wants to accept me as a student. It's already been four weeks!"

"Fancy some training?"

A grin flitted across Kera's lips. "Watch out."