Chapter 8

The trees got fresh green again, the birds brooded in their nests, the plain became colourful from the many different flowers. The sun gained more strength every day and warmed the ground, the days became longer.

Sitara and Piccolo had acquired a rhythm. Sitara only spent one or two hours alone in the forest to hunt. During that time, Piccolo was usually in the cave by the waterfall or on the rock plateau. When she was done with her daily work, they first trained their fighting techniques on the plain, had a snack at noon, then meditated together and then stretched the bond between them. In the last few months, they had actually managed to increase the distance from the first day. However, they still did not make it all the way to the mountains. Even the deep meditations during the nights of the full moon did not bring the desired result.

Instead of finding this state annoying or even shying away from it, as they had done at the beginning, they now both tried to make use of it and discover advantages in it. They each managed to walk along the line and transfer energy to the other during their afternoon meditation exercises.

More months went by and a white blanket covered the forest again. Both had come to terms with the situation. They had accepted it. Sitara still had not regained her memory and did not believe in it any more. She was not frustrated about it as she had been a year ago. She wanted for nothing. She was content. Who knows, maybe no one missed her where she had come from and it was a good thing that she was here. She felt comfortable and if she was completely honest with herself, she enjoyed the connection with Piccolo and occasionally wondered if he felt the same way. At least he had stopped trying so frantically to break the connection. She could no longer imagine what it would be like without him.

With these thoughts, she roamed through the forest, going over her traps to see if any animal had strayed into them. A thick blanket of snow had settled over everything and she was not paying attention to where she was going as she was busy with her thoughts.

Suddenly she was yanked up by her foot and hung upside down on a branch. Sitara was so surprised that she let out a sharp scream. When she had leveled out, Piccolo was standing in front of her.

He grinned mockingly. "Have you forgotten where you set your own traps?" Sitara clasped her hands in front of her chest, trying to look confident as best she could while hanging upside down from a branch.

"I was in thought," she replied snappily.

"So, so, what were you thinking about?" wanted Piccolo to know.

She blushed. It seemed too intimate for her to talk about it. He would surely laugh at her. Murmuring to herself, she freed herself from the noose, stuck her tongue out at him and flew away. She was furious. He could have helped her instead of just grinning at her. She flew across the plain towards the mountains. They had managed to extend the distance between them to the distance between the waterfall and the mountains at the beginning of winter. There were one or two retreats in the mountains that Sitara liked to go to. Right now, when she wanted to be by herself so he wouldn't see her tears of anger and disappointment, the mountains seemed more appropriate than her hut in the forest or the cave by the waterfall.

She flew very high when she reached the foothills of the mountains and headed for the highest point of the massif.

Piccolo stared for a moment at the point where Sitara had been hanging in the noose just a moment ago. Why had she flown away so suddenly? He had received a brief surge of angry vibrations through her connection. Could he feel what she was feeling? That was new. Or was that a result of the strengthened connection? Or did it only work with very strong emotions? He grabbed his head with one hand. It was exasperating. No one could give them answers and new questions seemed to arise all the time. He would first sit down in the cave for a while. Sitara would calm down and come back. He was just rising into the air when a sudden pain made him fall back again. He grabbed his left side. It felt as if he had been hit by something, but there was nothing at his side. No blood, no wound. The skin was intact. Had something happened to Sitara?