Chapter 32

Kera:

"Piccolo!" Kera shouted, but he did not turn around again. She tried to follow him, but someone held her back by the arm.

It was Krillin. "Let him be. I think I know what he's up to."

Tears veiled her gaze. Desperately, she tried to contact him mentally through her connection, but she couldn't reach him. The connection was there, she was sure, but it seemed blocked.

"What's he up to?" She had to concentrate to make sure her question came across clearly and wasn't drowned in tears.

"I think Piccolo wants to fly to Kami to reunite with him. He wants to get stronger."

Kera was stunned. "But why doesn't he say anything?" Why doesn't he tell me, she added in her mind.

"I have no idea."

Tien and Trunks had been silently eavesdropping on the conversation between Krillin and her, and seemed to be wondering why she was so taken back by Piccolo's departure. Kera crossed her arms in front of her chest and looked in another direction. She didn't want to be spoken to now.

"We should get Goku to safety first," Trunks said.

Nods of agreement were given to him. Together they rose into the air and made their way to Kakarrot's house.

Furtively, Kera rubbed her wrist where Piccolo had inscribed his name. Was Krillin right and he wanted to reunite with Kami? Then why didn't he say anything to her and had shielded his bond with her as well?

"What is that?"

Kera winced. She hadn't noticed Krillin flying right next to her. She followed his gaze and saw what he meant. He pointed to her tattoo.

"That's Piccolo's name," she said softly.

Krillin whistled through his teeth. "So I wasn't looking at it wrong earlier, then."

Earlier. It seemed like days since they had been this close, yet only a few hours had passed. So much had happened in that time. Two androids had taken her out, but three new ones had reappeared, Kakarrot had fallen ill and Piccolo was no longer talking to her. She sighed.

"I can't reach Piccolo."

"What do you mean?"

"We have a special connection that allows us to keep in touch telepathically." She didn't want to explain all the details to him.

Krillin patted her shoulder encouragingly. "I'm sure he'll be back."

Gratefully, she smiled at him.

"Guys, I'm going to turn here and get Chiaotzu. I'll meet you at the Master Roshi's," Tien called out to them and flew off in another direction.

"Trunks, how long will it take for Goku to get better?", Krillin wanted to know.

"About ten days."

"All right. Then we'll have to take him off the radar for that long."

- - - - - -

Piccolo:

Piccolo landed on the platform of Kami's palace. Kami was already expecting him. They eyed each other. Piccolo was sure that Kami knew why he had come here, but he said nothing, just stood leaning on his stick, waiting.

'He looks really old,' Piccolo thought as he looked his counterpart up and down. Then he took a deep breath, concentrated and conjured up a new suit and cloak and turban that he had left behind on the battlefield.

"I suppose you know why I'm here?" he said after a while.

"Of course I do. As a god, nothing escapes me."