Chapter 94

Reyak:

"Got you at last!" Triumphantly, Reyak grabbed and had the fabric of Gine's shirt in his hand. Finally. He had lost all sense of time. He was out of breath, which surprised him, because he could usually keep up with his mother for hours at a workout.

But now he was glad to finally be able to stop for a moment. Was it because they only moved as souls? Or was it the environment? Or had so much time passed that he needed a break? The light had not changed. Not at all. There was no indication of what time it was. No sun to orientate oneself by.

Gine was panting heavily too, but her eyes still flashed rebelliously, as if she would disappear again at the next available opportunity.

"What was that all about?" he snapped at her, sinking to the ground and dragging her with him. He had to rest for a moment, but under no circumstances could he let go of Gine. She might slip away again.

"I just wanted to look around," she returned rudely.

"There's nothing to see here!" Reyak's feet touched the floor. He continued to hold Gine and look around. He had hardly paid attention to the surroundings while following Gine. Everything here seemed to be nothing but cradles and fields of strange colours. "We have to find Menka or we won't get out of here."

"Why can't you?"

Reyak rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Because, well, I can't. Period. Come on now."

He dragged his half-sister in the direction they had come from. After a while, he asked a little more conciliatorily, "Can you fly again?" Gine nodded. "Will you stay with me?" Another nod, this time after a moment's thought.

Slowly, Reyak let go of Gine and floated upwards. Gine followed him. Silently they flew side by side. Significantly slower than before.

"Why did you react so strangely with Frieza?"

Gine continued to look ahead. "I know him," she said simply.

"Reyak!"

Reyak forgot what he was about to ask and searched for the voice that belonged to the call. Menka. He thanked the gods.

Staggering slightly, she floated towards them. When they reached her, she sank to the ground, out of breath.

"We have to get back as soon as possible. Hopefully no one but Dende has noticed that we are not there. There'll be trouble otherwise!"

Reyak pulled Gine with him and grabbed Menka's outstretched hand. Immediately he felt the pull that always came when he started or finished a soul journey. He closed his eyes and concentrated on Menka's touch. He hated this process. The moment the soul left the body or returned to it, everything was black, lightless, infinite. He was afraid that he would get stuck in this emptiness and never find his way back.

His concerns were unfounded. Only moments later he felt his body around him and opened his eyes. He blinked twice to let his eyes adjust to the change in brightness in the small room in Dende's palace.

"There you are again at last!"

Alarmed by Dende's urgent tone, Reyak jumped up. "How long have we been away?"

"Too long," was the reply. "Come along."

Stumbling, Menka followed Dende outside. Reyak pulled Gine with him.

"What happened?" asked Reyak, but got no answer until they stepped outside the palace and Dende pointed ahead. Reyak couldn't see what he was pointing at first because Menka was blocking his view.

Suddenly she let out a scream and ran. Then Reyak also recognised what Menka had seen seconds before him. His father was lying on the ground. Motionless. His eyes closed. His suit was marked by countless tears. Reyak searched for his father's aura and found ... nothing.