Chapter 103

Kera:

Kera smiled up at Piccolo and he returned the smile. Vegeta nodded at her, Kakarrot gave her a thumbs up. Two enemies down, three remained. By allowing Kakarrot back into the ring, there were still four fighters on her side.

She positioned herself in the centre of the ring again and watched as her opponent entered the fighting field on the opposite side. He did not come alone. Champa walked beside him. At the same time, the two reached the ring judge. Champa whispered a few words to the referee, who finally nodded, whereupon Champa moved away and flew back to his platform. Vados then raised her staff and the air around the fighting ring began to shimmer. Moments later, the arena was surrounded by a glass cube.

"What is this?" shouted Beerus across the cube. Anger resonated in his voice.

"This is to protect the audience. No one said the rules can't be changed during the fight," Champa returned.

Kera sensed that Champa and Beerus would start arguing if she did not intervene. "Stop it. I don't care how I fight. No one stands a chance against me anyway."

Her fingertips were tingling. She could hardly wait for the fight to be released.

Only now did Kera take a closer look at her opponent. He resembled a robot. His body shone like freshly polished metal. Two windows were embedded in his chest, behind which a red liquid seemed to bubble. His eyes seemed empty. Steam was emitted from his head. Kera wondered if there were beings in the universe that were made of metal and if perhaps their opponent was not a robot at all.

"From Universe Seven, the victor from the previous battle will step forward: Kera! Her opponent from Universe Six is Magetta! Ring clear!"

Applause erupted. Kera switched to fight mode, blocking out all sights and sounds as much as possible. She leapt up as Magetta took a step towards her and lunged to strike.

Satisfied, she noted that Magetta was slow. Very slow by her standards. It would be easy to avoid him.

Magetta did not follow her. Again Kera grinned triumphantly. Magetta couldn't fly. That made it all the easier. Her opponent opened his mouth and spat a red beam in her direction. Kera dodged to the right.

She felt the heat, though Magetta's attack missed her by half a yard. She narrowed her eyes and took a closer look at her opponent. That had not been a classic energy beam, but lava. Did that mean that the red liquid inside him was also lava? Then he wasn't a robot after all, but actually some kind of metal man.

Magetta didn't give her time to think. He increased the frequency of his attacks. Kera kept dodging and firing energy attacks at Magetta, but they seemed to have no effect on him.

Kera cursed inwardly. She had rejoiced too soon over her slow opponent. And she noticed something else. It was getting hotter in the glass cube. Of course it was. The heat Magetta radiated stayed in the ring thanks to the cube. It didn't seem to mind the rise in temperature. Kera thought feverishly. Heat rose upwards. That meant the air below was probably even more comfortable. But then she would also get close to Magetta and she still had no idea how she was going to defeat him if her energy attacks against him had no effect.

The heat was becoming more and more unbearable. She was already finding it difficult to breathe. She needed a plan. Urgently!

"Kera, you have to defeat him. You won't last much longer!"

"Shut up, Kakarrot," she shouted at him.

She knew he was right. She had learned in her time on Earth that it was perfectly possible to admit weakness. But when she was in such a fighting mood, she was not willing to do so.