Chapter 67

Menka:

Menka followed Reyak, Goten and Trunks at some distance. The three boys were so excited to see a demon soon that they did not notice Menka lagging more and more behind them. They shared their thoughts with each other about what the creature would look like. Mernka wasn't sure if she was also so curious or if she would rather fly home. She came along more out of a sense of duty towards her brother.

She constantly scanned the surroundings with her senses. Scanning for familiar and unfamiliar auras. When she was younger, the many different energies had frightened her. It was as if she was never alone. It had been Dende and her father who had taught her how to filter out the known energies and how to exclude other auras. Over time, it had become easier and easier for her to recognise small but subtle differences. Dende was thrilled at how good she was at recognising auras. She even found ones that were suppressed.

While she followed her parents, Uncle Vegeta and Uncle Kakarrot with her brother and two cousins, a part of her always kept an eye on the energies. Suddenly, something had changed. It took her a moment to realise what it was.

"Reyak!" She called her brother's name and stopped in mid-air. Annoyed, he turned to her.

"What?"

"Papa's aura is gone."

Reyak closed his eyes for a moment. "I'm sure he just ..."

"He didn't suppress it. Mum's aura was almost gone too and now it feels different." Menka was sure of it. She would always find her parents' auras, no matter the distance, whether they were suppressed, or whether they had changed a little.

Reyak understood and nodded. "We must hurry." He reached out to her and pulled her with him. She was thankful, for he was clearly faster than she was.

"Do you think this demon is dangerous?" asked Goten of the others.

Trunks shrugged his shoulders. "We just want to see what he looks like."

They flew side by side in silence for a while, until Menka cried out. "Mum's not there anymore!"

Irritated, they all stopped and concentrated. "Crap!" exclaimed Reyak. "Menka's right."

"But they're in the complete opposite direction now. That's where we just came from," Trunks said.

"I don't understand. Mum and Uncle Kakarrot are definitely in that direction. And Uncle Vegeta is there too, but his aura feels completely different."

"What do you mean?" asked Trunks. Concern for his father spoke from his features.

"I don't know exactly. It's like something ... evil has interfered there."

"Go, go!" decided Trunks, and flew forward.

Again they flew in silence, this time more grimly. Menka wanted to know what was going on. Why had they changed the scene? Why did her mother and Uncle Vegeta's auras feel so strange? And most importantly, what had happened to their father?

"Shit!" Irritated at Reyak's sudden outburst, they all stopped again. "They changed the battle location again!"

It was true. The location was now back in the original direction. Menka had been so lost in thought that Reyak had been quicker to spot the change this time.

"Shall we go back to Mum and Bulma's place instead?" asked Reyak.

"Absolutely not!" exclaimed Menka. Since she was usually the quietest of them, they all turned their heads in wonder. "We have to find out what happened!"