Chapter 37

Kera:

"There is the kitchen and the supply room." Piccolo pointed to the left. Through a door she saw the room described. "Next to it is the bathroom." He pointed to another door. "And here are the beds." Needlessly, he pointed to the two four-poster beds that were in a room to their right. "Up there is the clock." He looked up. In the dome-like roof Kera recognised what he meant. There was a large needle in the centre, pointing at the door through which they had entered the room. "Once the pointer has moved around, 24 hours will have passed in the real world," Piccolo continued. "Here, a year will have passed."

Kera nodded that she understood. She crossed the room and stepped through an archway. She stood on a white tiled terrace and held her breath. Before her stretched nothingness. A white void. It was as if this room she had just stepped out of was in a ... Kera had no word for it. It was a white infinity that spread out before her. An oppressive feeling came over Kera. Would she last a year here?

"The gravity is higher than on earth. You'll feel it as soon as you leave the terrace." Piccolo had followed her and pointed to the two stairs leading down the edge of the terrace. "The temperatures here fluctuate between minus forty and plus fifty degrees Celsius. They change without warning."

Kera turned around, only briefly brushing Piccolo with her gaze, and then surveyed the building she had just stepped out of. The round room with the clock hand was indeed spanned by a golden dome. To the right and left were small annexes, which she had been told were the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. While the round room facing the terrace was open and had no door, the adjoining rooms at least had windows.

"Is it getting dark in here?"

Piccolo shook his head. "That's why the beds have curtains to darken them."

"Can you walk around the building?"

This time Piccolo nodded. "It is in the void. The house is the only orientation there is here. If you lose sight of it, there's a chance you'll get lost and trapped here."

Kera took a deep breath. She felt panic rising inside her and tried to suppress it. "Let's get started." Determined, she stepped over the steps into the white void. She expected to float, but there was a solid floor beneath her. Since it was white like the entire surroundings, she hadn't noticed. She stumbled as she was surprised by the solidity of the floor and the sudden increased gravity was stronger than she had expected.

Piccolo grabbed her arm and saved her from falling. She looked up at him and wanted to smile, but then she remembered that he had taken her here reluctantly and withdrew her arm from his grasp without another word. She walked forward a few yards, concentrating on her steps so as not to react to his questioning look at her back.

Kera turned back to Piccolo and assumed a fighting stance. She would make it through this year.

- - - - - -

Exhausted, Kera dropped to the ground beside the small table and reached for the plate of food she had just prepared. She forced herself to eat slowly, even though her hunger was overwhelming. Piccolo, who was sitting opposite her, took a few bites.

Kera looked up at the ceiling at the large hour hand. It had made a quarter of a turn since they had entered the room. They had been in this room for three months and had barely exchanged a word. They had quickly developed a routine to simulate a daily routine. After breakfast, they each trained on their own. Piccolo moved very far away from the house during this time. Kera only saw flying energy balls or small explosions in the distance, which gave her an idea of Piccolo's location. In between, she only ate a snack. Piccolo joined her every time and they trained together afterwards.