Chapter 19

"You idiots!" Vegeta shouted to Gohan and Krillin as he landed next to them. A small Namekian was also standing with them. The three looked at Vegeta in fright and backed away from him.

The seven Dragonballs were close together and glowing. Out of them coiled the dragon's body. Narrow at first, it widened more and more until it ended in a massive head. The eyes of the Eternal Dragon glowed red and seemed to have no pupils. His body was in motion all the time and was surrounded by a bright glow of light. It seemed to be the only thing that gave off light, as if the dragon had absorbed the light from its surroundings.

"How many wishes have you made?" he snapped at the three.

"T-two," the bald one answered stammeringly.

"You can have the third wish, Vegeta," Gohan said, pointing at the Dragonballs.

"Are you out of your mind?" snapped Krillin at the younger one. The Namekian followed the discussion with interest.

"Maybe he really can defeat Frieza with this wish. You can feel his energy, can't you? We don't stand a chance otherwise!"

The kid was thinking rationally, Vegeta had to give him that. Now, though, he did have to choose one of his desires. And with Frieza coming at them, he only had one choice.

"So, what now?" Threateningly, he took a step towards Krillin.

"Dende, tell the Dragon Vegeta's wish," Krillin said with will in his voice.

Hesitantly, the young Namekian nodded. Then he looked questioningly at Vegeta.

"I want eternal life."

Dende turned to the Dragon and began to speak in Namekian. Vegeta tried to follow the words, but he had never been good at learning other languages. Most of the time it hadn't been necessary either. They had destroyed the populations of the planets, not chatted with them. He thought he heard his name in the little Namekian's words.

When he looked up at the Dragon, he thought he saw a flicker. Was the Dragon transparent? A quick glance at the others confirmed what he had feared. Something was wrong. The Dragon seemed to have less and less substance. Dende stopped speaking. His expression betrayed horror.

In the blink of an eye, the Dragon disappeared. It suddenly became daylight again. The Dragonballs that had just glowed brightly were now grey as stones.

"What happened?" Vegeta felt no different. Something had gone wrong.

The young Namekian sank to his knees. Tears dripped onto the dry ground, leaving dark stains on the earth. "The Grand Elder has passed on," he said quietly.

Before Vegeta could ask what was meant by that, he heard someone laughing. He looked up. Above them on a rock stood Frieza.

- - - - - -

Sitara ran out of the spaceship. Only peripherally did she notice that it was not a spaceship she was familiar with. It was round, like the capsules she and her squad used to move from planet to planet, but much larger. How had she ended up in this ship?

When she had solid ground under her feet, she pushed off and flew away from the craft just above the earth. She staggered again and again. Her head hurt so much. What had happened?

She searched the surroundings for a place to hide. The rocks and caves did not seem safe to her. Who knows what was in them. Her left hand felt for her scouter. It was not there. Where was it? How had she lost it?

She slowed down and looked down at herself. She wasn't wearing her uniform, but a purple suit with a blue belt. She stopped in mid-air. She wanted to tear off this suit. Who had put it on her? The thought that someone had undressed her and put it back on made her feel sick. The suit was torn at the knee. Had she fallen?