Chapter 91

Menka:

She let her spirit fly. Menka loved this feeling when she was free of her body and could explore much more than the earth. Space and time played no role in the spirit form. She wished she could visit the other planets with her family. Someday, her parents had promised her. At the moment, her mother was training on the planet of the God of Destruction. She wondered what she would have to tell them when she came back.

Dende sometimes accompanied her. With him at her side, exploring was even more fun. But with his duties as god of the earth, he couldn't be with her on every trip. He always reminded her that she should set herself fixed points so that she could find her way home safely. If she heeded this advice and did not stray too far from her body, nothing could happen to her. 'Far', however, was a flexible term.

Menka's spirit had left the earth and was floating in the infinity of space when she spotted a spaceship. A welcome change. She liked to watch the crew and try to find out which planet they were heading for or where they came from.

A Commander Sorbet, as she found out in the course of the conversation, was explaining to his subjects his plan to revive a certain Frieza. Menka was taken aback. The name sounded familiar. Hadn't her parents once told her about him? Menka thought about it. Yes, she was pretty sure that her mother had mentioned that name and that she detested that being. Kakarrot had defeated him back on Namek.

If this Commander Sorbet managed to revive Frieza, her mother would surely be devastated. She urgently needed to inform Dende and the others.

Shortly before she reached her body, Menka stopped. What possibilities did she have to prevent Frieza from being revived? The longer she thought about it, the more certain she was that this Frieza had destroyed her mother's home planet many years ago. And that meant he could not be revived under any circumstances.

She circled her body, which was sitting on the ground in Dende's library. Dende was sitting at a desk just two steps away from her, poring over his books. Another rule of soul travel was to never leave her body unobserved. Most of the time, Dende was the one who kept a watchful eye on her while her spirit travelled.

Dende kept raising his head and looked at Menka. He seemed to sense that she was already back in the room. He always seemed to know when she was around, which made her smile involuntarily.

An idea came to Menka, but it would take a little preparation. She quickly slipped back into her body and opened her eyes.

"Well, how was the trip?" She looked into Dende's smiling face.

"Exciting," she replied and stood up. "Tell me, have you heard the name Frieza before."

Dende's smile instantly faded. His body went rigid. "How did you come up with that name?" he asked quietly.

"I picked it up during a conversation in space," she said evasively.

Dende took a few deep breaths. "Your mother, Vegeta and Goku fought Frieza on Namek. Your mother almost died and Vegeta was killed by Frieza's hand. He also killed me ..." Dende broke off. The memory of the events seemed too painful. "Years later, he came back to earth. Then he could be killed and hopefully he will burn in hell."

Menka was taken aback. She had never heard such mean words from Dende's mouth. Just that gave her the decisive clue to do what she intended to do anyway. She would find this Frieza in the underworld and make sure he couldn't come back.

For days she secretly searched for an entrance to the underworld. She told no one of her plan and asked her brother, in addition to Dende, to watch over her body during her journey. A week after she began her search, she found the crucial clue. To reach the underworld, she could not stay on the physical plane, but had to change dimensions. When she came to this realisation, she immediately returned to her body and jumped up in triumph.

"What's the matter?"

Startled, she turned around. Reyak was standing behind her with Gine holding her hand. She had forgotten that Reyak was watching her.

"I ... uh," she put in.

"What are you trying to do?"

Menka cursed inwardly. She couldn't fool her twin brother much. He always saw right through her. She considered for a moment and then decided to let him in on it. With Gine on his lap, he listened to Menka's tale about Frieza and her plan.

"When do you want to go?" Reyak didn't question anything.

"As soon as possible. I found the entrance to the Underworld earlier."

"Then take me with you."

Reyak could not go on a soul journey alone. He lacked his powers of concentration for that. But if she took him, then he could definitely be a support. She nodded slowly.

"Good. Let's go then."

"Now? You're supposed to be looking after Gine," Menka objected.

"We'll take her with us," Reyak replied.

"If Mum and Dad can figure it out, we're bound to get trouble." Menka was unsure.

"We'll be fine." Reyak had always been a firm believer that everything would be all right. Menka smiled. Her brother was always convinced of the positive outcome of something.

They sat down on the ground opposite each other. Gine made herself comfortable in Reyak's lap. Menka took Reyak's hands in hers and Gine placed hers on Reyak's arms. They closed their eyes and Menka concentrated on sending her soul on its journey.

She pulled Reyak's and Gine's soul with her into the dark space, the blackness that was at the beginning of every journey. It always took a moment for the outlines of the world to become clear again. After that, it was easy to find her way around.

She led them to the underworld, to Frieza's personal hell, as she had found out. She had already seen him. He was wrapped in a cocoon and hanging from a tree. Around him elf-like beings danced and sang. If the stories were true, it must really be hell for him.

Half of Frieza's face was covered by a metal plate. Because of the cocoon, he couldn't move a bit, but his eyes were filled with hatred as he slowly spun around hanging from the tree, trying to pierce the elves and other creatures dancing happily around him with his gazes.

Menka, Reyak and Gine watched the hustle and bustle for a while, well hidden, then Menka floated into Frieza's field of vision. She didn't really know what she wanted to do or say, she just wanted to stop him from coming back to earth and threatening her family.

"Get out of my way," Frieza yelled at her as soon as he caught sight of her. Menka didn't know how to respond to that. She had never been that good at talking.

"Hey, Frieza. How about we get you out of here and you just leave us alone."

Reyak, on the other hand, didn't even think about what he was saying. An expression of irritation flitted across Frieza's face for only a split second until he regained his composure. Menka was sure that Reyak didn't even know himself what he meant by that statement, let alone how he was going to act on it.

The corners of Frieza's mouth twitched into a brief smile. "Two children. What are you going to do about it?" He laughed dismissively.

"Who's that?" asked Gine quietly at that moment, peering cautiously from behind Reyak's back.

Frieza, who had heard her voice, turned his head to get a better look at Gine. When he saw her, his eyes snapped open in disbelief. He seemed to have lost control of his facial features. His eyes fixed on Gine, who was slowly coming around Reyak.

She extended an arm towards Frieza. "Gine?" Menka became nervous. Something wasn't right. It didn't feel right.

Frieza's eyes were fixed on Gine. He couldn't take his eyes off her. Gine touched Frieza's face. Frieza's eyes widened. He opened his mouth to say something and was gone the next moment.

What happened?" Menka asked in panic. Had Gine's touch triggered something they couldn't grasp?

Reyak's breathing had accelerated. He was as worried as she was.

Gine looked disturbed, then sad. "He's gone," she finally said.