Chapter Thirty-Three

Jake Seresin

"What if it looks like an alien?" Daisy asked, "I don't want an alien baby." She was frowning, looking over at Jake. They were at her doctor's appointment. It was the earliest slot open, Jake had to go to base right after. He had managed to get an hour and a half off for the appointment. He was in his uniform, so he didn't waste any time getting to work. Daisy was on the exam table, laying back and Jake was next to her on a stool.

"There's no way you and I would produce an ugly baby." Jake told her. Most people would think he was joking, but he absolutely wasn't. He didn't have any idea how a baby would look on an ultrasound though, not to mention it wasn't fully formed yet either. He doubted it was going to be very cute at the moment, but didn't tell Daisy that. It didn't take much to make her cry lately, and he didn't want to tempt it. Jake looked at the door when her doctor came in.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Clark." She said, introducing herself to Jake. Daisy had her one previous meeting with her already, when she had come in for her blood test a few weeks ago.

"Jake," Jake replied, watching Dr. Clark walk over to the other side of Daisy.

"We're going to do your first ultrasound. Which will let us see the baby and hear the heartbeat for the first time. "Dr. Clark said, "Are you feeling better?" She asked Daisy, as she got things ready.

"Finally." Daisy answered. "I don't think I've gotten sick in about a week." She lifted the bottom of her shirt when she was instructed to. "Is it normal that I'm not really showing?"

Jake had noticed within the last week her stomach wasn't entirely flat anymore, there was a hint of a bump in her lower abdomen. It was a slight curve, only really noticeable when she didn't have clothes on. She had just been worried if that was normal or not. He'd caught her in the mirror several times, trying to examine her body from the side.

Dr. Clark nodded. "It's normal. All women are different. First pregnancies it can take a few more weeks, or it could be next week. Don't compare online, no two women are the same." She answered. "Try not to overthink it." She sat down as she got ready to start. "What unit are you in?" She asked Jake.

"I'm a pilot." Jake answered. He was sure she had seen plenty of people, men and women, in the Navy considering the base was nearby. Daisy flinched a little at the ultrasound gel, Jake guessed probably because it was cold. His mouth twitched, trying not to smile. Daisy noticed and rolled her eyes, though she looked amused.

Jake and Daisy both watched the monitor and the reality really hit seeing it on screen. Not to mention hearing the heartbeat. A first for Jake, he didn't have words and neither did Daisy. Jake did see her eyes glass over some and he squeezed her hand. He felt a slight burn in his own eyes. He never quite pictured himself doing this. Not that he hadn't wanted to, he just never really settled down in any way until Daisy.

"Everything looks great," Dr. Clark said, "And a strong heartbeat." She pointed to the monitor, showing what was the baby. Jake had been able to tell though before. She pulled back from Daisy, wiping the gel off. "Any questions?"

"You'd be able to tell if there was two right?" Jake blurted out, and Daisy whipped her head to him.

"What?" Daisy asked, "What did you see?"

"Nothing. But Jeremiah made a dumb comment this morning." Jake answered, "Her Mom is a twin, and my brother planted something in my head this morning."