12. Momma's instincts.

Upon getting home, my immediate instinct kicked in – I went on full lock-down, casting an invisible shield around my home. No one could find me or Mathew, and breaking in became impossible.

But reality slapped me – Alpha Dominic, my pursuer, my mate who had rejected me had found me. The tension built up as I paced back and forth, clueless about my next move.

My thoughts inevitably circled back to Alpha Dominic, and the undeniable truth hit me – Alpha Dominic was still as handsome as ever.

There was this magnetic pull I couldn't ignore, yet I hadn't caved into the alluring temptations. Now, faced with the prospect of a future encounter, resisting that connection seemed like an uphill battle.

How on earth would I navigate this if, or more likely when, we crossed paths again? The question lingered, leaving me grappling with the complexity of emotions and the impending uncertainty.

The contemplation gripped me – was it too late to take Mathew and vanish once more into the shadows? Going back to Dominic's pack was out of the question; the memories of their harsh treatment lingered, a bitter taste from the time I kept my dormant wolf a secret.

The temptation to vanish into the night, shielding Mathew from the inevitable storm, tugged at my resolve. However, an unyielding ember of longing burned within, sparking a question about fate's intentions for our convoluted reunion.

The internal struggle intensified as I weighed the options, torn between the instinct to protect my child and the unresolved ties that fate seemed determined to unravel.

Before diving into any impulsive choices, a talk with Alpha Scott seemed like the rational move to determine potential outcomes. With the current shield in place, the plan was set – tomorrow I'd seek counsel from the Alpha.

Opting for my son's bed instead of my own, I cradled Mathew in my arms, a silent vow echoing in the quiet room to shield him from any harm. As sleep claimed me, the resolve to protect my child took center stage, momentarily putting the impending decisions to runaway on hold.

As I woke the next morning the routine was the same, get Mathew ready for daycare and to get ready for work as well. I wanted to tell Mathew no talking to strangers but I just couldn't muster up the courage to, I was basically telling him not to talk to his own father.

As if on cue, I decided it was time to lift the shield encircling my house. No sooner had I done so than a knock reverberated through the air. An instant surge of anxiety gripped me – was it Alpha Dominic at the door?

Much to my relief, it turned out to be Michael, standing there innocently. My heart, which had been racing at the prospect of an unexpected visitor, settled as I greeted my friend at the door, grateful for the familiar and comforting sight of his presence.

"Michael?" I sighed in relief. "What are you doing here?" I asked, a mix of surprise and relief evident in my tone.

"I usually come to pick up Mathew for daycare in the mornings...have you forgotten?" Michael questioned, a bemused expression crossing his face as I chuckled sheepishly before ushering him inside.

"There's something I need to ask you," I stated, a hint of urgency coloring my words.

"Yeah, what is it?" Michael responded, his curiosity evident as he approached a very happy Mathew.

Approaching him with a furrowed brow, I couldn't shake the pressing question. "Michael," I inquired tentatively, "do werewolves retain the ability to recognize their children even after a concussion or memory loss? Is there some inherent bond, or does their wolf instinctively inform them?" The weight of the inquiry hung in the air, reflecting my concern.

I tiptoed around the question, opting not to directly ask Michael about a werewolf's capacity to recognize their offspring under unfamiliar circumstances.

With his awareness of my sudden arrival a few years ago and Mathew's obliviousness to his father's identity, a direct inquiry would undoubtedly raise suspicions.

Mathew and I's unique bond, coupled with our enhanced gifts, made me wonder if this connection was exclusive to us or if it extended to other werewolves, providing a sort of internal compass for recognizing family ties even without having to know his father.

The complexities of the situation left me with lingering questions, searching for answers within the complexities of werewolf dynamics.

As Michael's gaze locked onto mine, he responded, "Alice, a werewolf should inherently be able to detect their offspring through the unique and profound bond they share. It's practically unheard of for a werewolf to be incapable of recognizing their own children. This connection runs deep, transcending the fog of memory loss or any other external factors."

Confused by the revelation, I couldn't fathom why Alpha Dominic hadn't detected that Mathew was his son.

It contradicted the information Michael had shared – according to him, a werewolf should unmistakably recognize their offspring. The perplexity of the situation lingered, leaving me in a state of bewilderment.

Observing my thoughtful expression, Michael, sensing my internal turmoil, inquired, "Is something wrong, Alice?" His question hung in the air, prompting me to grapple with the unspoken questions I had in my mind.

Offering a sheepish smile, I tried to dispel any concern that might have crept into Michael's thoughts. "No, nothing's wrong," I reassured him, concealing the lingering questions and uncertainty that danced behind my eyes.

Taking a deep breath, I met Michael's gaze with a determined yet cautious look. "Michael, I need you to promise me something. Protect Mathew and keep him close. Limit his contact with strangers," I urged, the weight of my request underscoring the unease I felt about having Alpha Dominic around Mathew.

Acknowledging my own selfishness, I couldn't deny that it stemmed from an earnest desire to protect Mathew above all else.

Michael's brows furrowed in concern as he questioned, "Why, Alice? Our pack is secure, and I've always looked out for Mathew. Why the sudden restriction on his interactions with pack members? Did something occur that I need to be aware of?"

In my thoughts, Alpha Dominic's words echoed, prompting a realization that I must talk with Alpha Scott. I knew for a fact that Alpha Dominic had shared information with Scott about our meeting last night, compelling clarity things for the pack's leader.

My thoughts were consumed by Alpha Dominic when an unexpected knock echoed through the silence. I stood near the door, a hesitant breath escaping me. The dilemma of whether to open it gnawed at my resolve, the memories of our complicated past colliding with the fear of what his presence might entail.

The knocking persisted, each sound a drumbeat of uncertainty. I wrestled with the decision, not wanting to open the door to a chapter of my life that had caused so much pain.

As I turned to walk away another knock came to my door, knowing that the knocking wouldn't stop I made my way opening the door.

"Alice, is something wrong?" Michael spoke as he headed to open the door, and I braced myself for another potential confrontation with Alpha Dominic.

My gaze met with Mathew, his innocent eyes unaware of what was unfolding around him, yet my maternal instinct felt the weight of the truth about to be revealed.

The impending confrontation loomed, and I steeled myself for the moment when everything I had kept hidden would come to light.

********************

Remember to leave a comment and vote below❣️