Chapter 36: The Plans

Deeming the Puqi temple as an unsafe place to regather, Xie Lian had brought (Y/N) back to the forest she knew. The one in which her tree house resided. An area only known to herself and the boys.

Sitting along the wall, (Y/N) rested with her head against the solid surface gazing up at the ceiling. Directly beside her sat Xie Lian, neither uttering a word. She sat pressed against his side, her arms wrapped around her legs which were pulled up to her chest. Xie Lian's hand had rested on the top of her knees, doing nothing but rubbing soothing circles on the fabric of her clothes. They were simply awaiting the return of Hua Cheng.

When the door to the treehouse had opened. (Y/N) lowered her gaze to lock eyes with a familiar red one. Despite his usual stoic expression, a look of relief covered his features. Crouching down slightly Hua Cheng makes his way over sitting right before Xie Lian and (Y/N). His sword which was once strapped by his waist rested to his side as he kneeled to the floor.

In one swift motion he had pulled (Y/N) into his embrace. Her arms slowly released their grasp from around her legs to wrap around his torso. She was cocooned in his arms relishing the feeling which she had only realized she missed so much.

"Don't ever do that again" He utters out. Though his voice sounded normal and stern, there seemed to be a slight waver which he wished to hide. "If you ever need help. Please...please come to us, don't do anything rash"

(Y/N) remained silent in his hold. The only way he had known she heard him was the feeling of her head nodding. Her head stayed buried in his chest as she trembled in his hold.

"I'm sorry" She whispers. Her voice sounded hoarse.

"Don't apologize" Xie Lian scolds her. His voice was warm, welcoming and soft, reminding her she wasn't alone. "You can't control what has happened. It isn't your fault."

She had pulled herself away from Hua Cheng. "It is my fault!"

"My parents want me dead, they won't stop any of this unless I die." She reminds them. This time rather than despair, it seemed she was reminding them. The whole reason this situation began in the first place was merely because she existed.

"Then perhaps we need to end this now." Xie Lian replies. He places his hand on his chin as his eyebrows furrow. "We need a plan"

"We can gather as many allies as we need and fight," Hua Cheng suggests. Xie Lian hums in acknowledgement to his words.

(Y/N) shakes her head, bringing her knees to her chest. Her gaze remained to the floor as her eyebrows furrowed in thought.

"Even if we were to fight, they can't die. They also outnumber us, we'd have to think of something" Xie Lian replies. Closing her eyes tightly (Y/N) winces as the image of her brother's last breaths play in her mind.

Snapping her head up she releases her legs standing. "Wait. If we can find their weakness then maybe it gives us a chance!"

Xie Lian places a hand on his chin as he looks deep in thought.

"If we can find their ashes, there is a chance" Hua Cheng reminds him. Humming in response Xie Lian nods his head.

"Perhaps I can sneak in" She states, catching the attention of the two men. A spark of determination appeared in her eyes. "If I can sneak in unnoticed, I can find where the ashes are hidden and destroy them."

Automatically her idea was shut down by Xie Lian. "No. I understand why you'd wish to help, but at this time perhaps, Hua Cheng and I can try something."

"If they believe you are dead, then maybe they will willingly go" He adds. "If we can convince them somehow you've given up the immortality they want you to, then maybe just then they will move on on their own."