Chapter 18: The First Child

First things first, finding the parents of the first child on the list. It can't be that difficult...right?

At least that's what (Y/N) hoped. She had her fair share of crowds to last her a lifetime and ultimately scurried behind Hua Cheng, letting his taller figure lead the way this time...and also to block everyone from her sight.

A pout was placed on her lips as she stared at the people passing by doing their daily activities. Stalls were set for sales, horses trotted along with riders on their back in order to carry goods for sales.

It was noisy. Very noisy.

She felt her hands clam up when making eye contact with people. She could feel the pounding in her chest slow as a small hand made its way to her own. Glancing down, Dai Lu had placed her hand into the older girl's looking up at her with a smile.

No words were spoken but she was calm. Much more than before.

Xie Lian who stood behind Hua Cheng watched the girl with a quirked brow. Making eye contact with hum, (Y/N) shrugs her shoulders, a shy grin placed on her lips, yet no words were uttered.

Turning his head he looks ahead, searching for a specific stall.

Along down the path stood a stall which sold kids toys and candies. Before it stood a young looking woman, obvious bags under her eyes with disheveled hair.

"Mrs. Xue" (Y/N) whispers, stepping towards the stall away from the crowds.

She practically dragged Dai Lu along as she made her way to the toy stall, her brain becoming automatically entranced by the wooden animals that rested by the stall owner.

"Are you Mrs. Xue?" Xie Lian appeared by her side along with Hua Cheng, who admired the toy in her hand. The woman at the stall nodded, her attention turning to (Y/N).

(Y/N) had let go of Dai Lu's hand, grabbing the wooden rabbit which was displayed on the counter. She admired all the details. Despite knowing it was a toy, it still entranced her. It was truly amazing what humans were capable of creating from what they are given. Such toys brought her a small joy to look at.

"You seem intrigued by the creatures. Do you have a kid you wish to give it to?" Mrs. Xue asked, giving the girl a soft smile, looking between her and the boys. Xie Lian could feel a faint blush form on his cheeks as he raised a sleeve to cover the lower half of his face while Hua Cheng simply chuckled at the reaction Xie Lian had, his own reaction keeping his true feelings hidden.

Oblivious to the implications, (Y/N) shakes her head, her eyes never leaving the creature as she replies in a shaky, soft voice "No, I was just never allowed toys as a kid"

The new information made Hua Cheng and Xie Lian glance at each other with intrigue. She rarely speaks of her past, and so far it hasn't seemed to have been good.

Placing the animal down, (Y/N) steps back slightly looking at the direction of Mrs. Xue, but not holding eye contact.

"If it's alright, we have a few questions to ask" Xie Lian says, turning to face Mrs. Xue.

Mrs. Xue had her eyes on (Y/N), which widened in surprise as she glanced down.

"Why aren't you wearing any shoes?! And where are your layers?!" She shouted those words. The tone made (Y/N) flinch as she shuffled behind Hua Cheng.

"I'm alright, I am used to being barefoot no matter the weather, and the cold doesn't really bother me...." (Y/N) says, peeking out from behind Hua Cheng timidly.

"Still, that is no reason to dress such way" Mrs. Xue scolds, as if (Y/N) was a child of her own "Stay warm, and wear shoes to protect your feet"

Upon seeing her scoldings going in one ear and out the other she releases a sigh "I'll answer questions, let's head inside."