Chapter 27: Escape

TW: Mentions of suicide, violence, death

                    ♡♤♡♤♡♤♡

A knock on the door awoke (Y/N). It opened, revealing her brother with a sword strapped to his side. It meant the plan was in motion.

"Normally, I would have brought more things, but whatever is in this bag should be what helps us the best." Her brother replies, kneeling down beside her and undoing the ropes which held her still. “We just have to make it out of this forest.”

Nodding her head, she stands up on her feet following her brother's steps. She reached forward, grabbing a hold of his hand as he took the lead. Her eyes scanned around them as they snuck between buildings, halting at any possible sound of someone moving nearby. Whenever it was clear, Chaoxing would lead them away to hide behind another building until they reached the edge of the village.

“Are you sure this is smart?” (Y/N) questions, her eyes looking at the oddly quiet village, where few women had stood around doing their regular chores.

“You’ll be fine,” Chaoxing starts, pausing as he scans the area, then races forward towards the tree line, dragging (Y/N) behind him. “We just have to make it past a certain point, then I should be able to contact someone to help us”

“Why a certain point?” She questions, taking larger steps to meet his pace.

“Mom and dad used some sort of barrier to protect the village” He states using quotations when he says the word protect. “It was more of so no one could find it, made it easier for them to keep you here”

“Is that why you believed Hua Cheng and Xie Lian were looking for me?” She asks. Her brother didn’t respond but simply nodded his head, pushing them to keep moving forward. After that question, it was silent between the two, but not an uncomfortable one, just quiet. Both were focused on getting as far away as possible.

She looks down at the floor, hopping over a log. Once her feet hit the floor, she halted in her steps. Her posture grew rigid as she looked around the forest.  Her hand, which was still attached to Chaoxing’s, caused him to stop in his tracks.

“What? We are almost there” He says, tugging her arm in an urge to get her to move faster. (Y/N) refuses to budge as she pulls Chaoxing over to her.

“It’s quiet…animals aren’t quiet” She whispers, glancing around. He had understood what she meant, and it was true. Nature would make its own sound until something was about to come. A calm before a storm

And that is exactly what it was.

The thundering sound of footsteps had sounded all around the two. (Y/N) could only stare in horror as those who once cared for her brother offered her brother food, shelter, and even clothing glared at both of them with hatred. The men who they never spotted when leaving the village all stood before them. Chaoxing had stepped forward, his arm outstretched in front, to protect her from anything in the way.

He reaches to his side, unsheathing his sword as he glares forward at the crowd around them.

"Stay behind me," He tells (Y/N). She takes in a deep breath, stepping forward to be at his side.

"We can face them together. I found that I know a bit of fighting, " She replies. She shifts her foot back and raises her hands up as a way to protect her face.

Chaoxing gave her a side glance as he nodded his head slightly. "If you say so, but if you feel you can't fight anymore, stay behind me."

"Okay, I will," She nods. The two siblings stand their ground as the group around them prepares for the battle.