Chapter 22: Uh oh. Big Trouble

TW: Violence, mentions of blood

♡♤♡♤♡♤♡♤♡

Now was to the last child on the list. Before them, they held a map, a small mark drawn into place. It stood in the middle of nowhere, far from civilization. Before the destination, it was open land, large grassy green fields lit up by the bright sun. There were no villages under the mark, just trees. Many, many trees, the opposite of its surroundings.

"Ling Wen had left the name, correct?" Hua Cheng questions, rolling the map up and putting it away.

"Correct." Xie Lian replies, placing his hat over his head "The history seems a little odd, as we were given a cause of death this time..."

"So...Han Dai Lu is our last bet..." (Y/N) sighs, looking down at Dai Lu with a frown "If not, we may need to start from scratch again..."

"I'm sure we'll find something out!" Dai Lu encourages. Bouncing on the heels of her feet, she takes (Y/N) by the hand and starts leading the way.

The grassy field reached up to (Y/N)'s thighs, a small path in the plants pushed aside to pave the way. Beautiful iris bloomed in the grass with butterflies fluttering around, a safe distance away from the travelers. There was a slight incline to the ground, as the forest stood quite a ways away.

Looking upwards (Y/N) hesitates to continue onward, her brows furrowed in confusion. The lush green grass, the bright blue sky, the tall trees ways away. It all seemed so familiar.

"You know, this Dai Lu has the same last name as you." Hua Cheng speaks up, glancing at the map, then to (Y/N).

"Han is a very common last name in China, though," Xie Lian reminds him. Hua Cheng nods slightly, looking between the child and (Y/N).

"I know. It was just...interesting" He replies. Deciding to change the topic, he looks forward once more. "It should take only a few moments to get to the forest"

At Hua Cheng's words (Y/N) had stopped completely. She had let go of Dai Lu's hand to grab the scroll once more. Unrolling it, she scans the names on the list. In doing so, she feels her heart stop.

Her hands begin to shake as she feels her body go numb. The scroll falls to the floor as she stares at it blankly.

Han Bingwen and Han Jia Li.

Those were her parents. Her parents were on the list. Did Ling Wen know that? Is that why she put them there? As far as (Y/N) knew, she never had a sister. Nor did her mother miscarry. Yet it seemed to make sense. Dai Lu had the same doe eyes and (H/C) hair. Perhaps that's why the man before gave her such a weird look upon seeing the drawing of Dai Lu.

"Guys," She says, snapping her head upward. If those were, in fact, her parents, she didn't think she could face them at the moment.

Upon looking up, her face contorts into one of horror. Rather than the lush grassy field, with Hua Cheng, Xie Lian, and Dai Lu, she stood in the middle of a forest. No sunlight reached where she was standing, turning on her heel she came face to face with a man or rather his sword.

Leaning back slightly, she winces at the feeling of metal on her neck. Of course, it wouldn't kill her, but that didn't mean it wouldn't hurt.

"You're coming with us," He states, not asking, nor giving her options. It was a demand. Raising an eyebrow, her eyes look around the surroundings. She couldn't sense anyone else, and she couldn't hear any animals nearby willing to aid her. It seemed like it was just her and the man.

"Us?" She questions. Her lips turned into a smirk.

Her smirk falters as many more men appear around her, their weapons raised at her.