Chapter 2: What Happens In The Temple Stays In The Temple!

"That's basically the big picture," Xie Lian said. The two Martial gods, Fu Yao and Nan Feng held faces that made Xie Lian doubt they were listening, while (Y/N) seemed deep in thought. She believed Xie Lian was wrong about the martial gods not listening to his words.

"Do the missing brides have anything in common with each other?" Nan Feng asked.

"There were some rich brides and some poor ones. There were beautiful ones and ugly ones. Some were wives, and others were concubines." Xie Lian replies "In short, the disappearances completely lack a pattern. One simply cannot determine the preferences of this ghost bridegroom."

"Mmm" Nan Feng hums. Something sparks in (Y/N)'s eyes.

"Your Highness, is there a possibility the bridegroom may not actually be a bridegroom?" (Y/N) asks. She had decided to add formalities now that she knew the man before her was of higher status, which was quite odd to say at first, already used to calling him by his name.

"I agree with her thoughts. If what you said applies, no one has seen it before so there is no telling if it's a man or woman, young or old" Fu Yao replies.

Her thoughts cause Xie Lian to smile, answering her question.

"The conclusion written on this scroll was a summary by the Heavenly Officials from Ling Wen's Palace Hall. 'The ghost bridegroom' is just a popular name used among the people. However, what you've said really makes sense." After what was said between the four Xie Lian felt grateful, the ones he would be working with were rather sharp.

Since it had started to become dark the four had left the teahouse. Xie Lian had placed his bamboo hat onto his head before he started to walk, (Y/N) following behind continuing and even walking ahead of him. Xie Lian grew bewildered as the two martial gods hadn't followed behind him. He stopped (Y/N) by delicately grabbing her wrist. He turned to face them, the two looking at him the same way he was looking at them.

"Where are you going?" Nan Feng asked.

"I'm going to search for a place to stay." Xie Lian replies looking at the two and sighs "Fu Yao, why are you rolling your eyes again?"

"Then why are you walking toward the mountains and the wild?" Nan Feng asked again.

"I live there!" (Y/N) chirps, a smile growing leaving the boys even more lost. She was used to living outside during winter, summer, rain and sun so another night was nothing more. As for Xie Lian, he was used to living on the streets; it didn't cross his mind that the two martial gods were not. So he decided to find a temple, bringing (Y/N) along.

The four had ended up at a damaged and worn-out local shrine. The incense for worship was broken and it was clear the place was rarely visited. Xie Lian had started calling out the name on the plaque. And rarely having visitors startled the Earth god who was in awe at the bright light illuminating the group, though it was lighter around the girl from what he thought.

In alarm the Earth god jumped up trembling at the four. "Do the three Heavenly Officials have any orders for the humble me?"

"There are no orders. We merely wanted to ask if there are any General Nan Yang or General Xuan Zhen temples in the vicinity?" Xie Lian asks the god, his tone holding that he was speaking the truth.

"This, this, this..." He calculated on his fingers, not daring to argue against higher ups, before saying, "Around five li from here, there is a temple to provide offerings to, to, to General Nan Yang."

Xie Lian pressed both of his hands together before replying, "Many thanks."

(Y/N) glances at him from the corner of her eye and copies his movements bowing her head. With that the Earth god disappeared once more, intimidated by the bright aura. Xie Lian began to fumble around looking for loose change to offer. (Y/N) moved, noticing the broken incense and fixed it, lighting it to shine.

As expected, five li later, they had arrived at the temple. Upon entering (Y/N) looked around in awe. She found it so beautiful. She zoned out of the boys conversation as she followed them taking in the view, a breath of awe leaving her lips.

At the moment a young girl had finished praying, lighting an incense and when Xie Lian saw her he slightly pushed the two boys which also caught (Y/N)'s attention. They all followed his gaze to look at the girl. However the look on the two boys' faces suddenly changed while (Y/N) tilted her head in confusion.

"Too ugly!" Fu Yao yells.

"Fu Yao!" (Y/N) scolds "You never say something like that to a girl! She seems very nice!"

Yet that wasn't the reason Xie Lian had caught their attention, he didn't distinguish if she was beautiful or ugly, rather he saw the big tear in her skirt. (Y/N) bites her lip as she watches the girl. She kneeled and prayed earnestly, oblivious to the tear in her skirt.

"What should we do? We can't let her leave like this, can we? She'll be seen by everyone on her way home." Xie Lian debates, feeling a headache form. Fu Yao shrugs his arms.

"Don't ask me. The one she's worshiping isn't my General Xuan Zhen. There wasn't harassment, I didn't see anything." Nan Feng's face had turned between green and yellow, making it obvious those two were no help and (Y/N) herself seemed lost at what to do. Xie Lian had to take things into his own hands as he took off a layer of his robe, using the wind to bring it to her. The wind seemed to startle the young girl named Little Ying. It seemed Xie Lian had already taken a form mortals could see as he steps forward, reaching a hand out. Seeing this man appear from the shadows Little Ying screams.

"Ah! Harassment!!" She yells her hand slapping against Xie Lian's face. The two boys turned their heads as if they were slapped themselves while (Y/N) winces at the loud, sharp noise.

Even though he had just been slapped, Xie Lian showed no sign of anger or annoyance. He just quickly handed her his robe, whispering to her in a quiet tone. Hearing his words, the girl became very shocked, reaching back and touching the back of her skirt. Her face became red as tears began to fill her eyes. She had gripped onto Xie Lians robe and ran out of the temple.

Xie Lian turned to the trio, a hand rubbing his face where a red handprint had made its mark. "Alright. Everything is fine now."

"You....Did your wound reopen?" Fuo Yao asked. Xie Lian looked down muttering a small 'oh' as (Y/N) stared at him with worried eyes, her eyes scanning over his body.

Under the layers and layers of white cloths his neck and arms were wrapped in bandages, small wounds trickling their way out from underneath the wrapping, staining his silk white skin. Xie Lian began to unravel his bandages after a few moments of standing there.

"What was it?" Fu Yao asked, looking away after taking a glance at Xie Lian.

"What?"

"Who was the one you fought against?" (Y/N) adds, keeping her gaze away from the man who seemed to be changing, yet her voice held an innocent non understanding tone.

"Fought? Ah, no one"

"Then these wounds on your body..." Nan Feng draws out, his voice coming hushed near the end, as if he were thinking deeply.

"I fell by myself," Xie Lian replies hurriedly. Fu Yao had muttered something under his breath which was disregarded by Xie Lian and he had continued to unwrap the bandages.

Everyone's gaze fell on his neck. Not a word was uttered, while (Y/N)'s worry grew. She scanned his face to notice any pain yet there wasn't a sign he was in pain. She glances at Fu Yao and Nan Feng trying to grasp the situation but they too kept their gaze on his neck.

Where a black collar was encircled in his white neck.

Sensing their gaze, Xie Lian turns to them with a faint smile. "Is it your first time seeing a cursed collar?"

(Y/N) was confused. What was a cursed collar? Why would Xie Lian have it?

Xie Lian used the excuse that he needed new clothes to go outside and walk around, yet Fu Yao told him, "It would be utterly obscene of you, should you go outside to stroll on the main street with your current appearance."

In the end Nan Feng had gone and gotten new clothes for Xie Lian. (Y/N) hums as Xie Lian pulls out a scroll. Rubbing her eyes, she glances around the room spotting a corner farther away. She slips away and curls up on the floor, shutting her eyes and falling asleep in the corner of the temple.