Chapter 25: Fault

TW: Abuse

♡♤♡♤♡♤♡♤♡

(Y/N) was startled awake as the doors to the shed slammed open.

She didn't know how many days she had been stuck, nor if Hua Cheng and Xie Lian were looking for her. Rather, she could only do nothing but stay isolated in fear. The people had left her alone for some time in the darkness of the shed. Long enough to where she had lost count of time and no longer had as much hope.

Her once clean and collected demeanor was slouched. Her nice white and pastel pink clothes were stained with dirt and mud. Her hair, which was in a nice half updo, was messy with random strands of hair sticking out. Evident bags were under her eyes as she lazily looked up to the door.

Her eyes widen in fear as she does her best to crawl backward in the small enclosed area. Before her stood her mother.

Her mother had approached her with a growl, snatching the girl up by her hair.

"Look who decides to show her face after all these years," Jia Li scowls. Her voice was much more raspy compared to what (Y/N) could remember.

Glancing down slightly, (Y/N) recoils, wincing at the tug on her head. Right on her mother's neck was a large and deep gash. Where flowing blood should have been was dried blood.

Hearing other footsteps, she looks behind her mother to see her father. He had no visible scars but rather a large cut on his clothes, crossing his abdomen in a perfectly horizontal line. His arms were crossed over his chest as he glared at the child before him.

"You really weren't dead? How funny, " Her father growls. While he had never been an instigator to her childhood abuse, he was still a culprit.

"Now, now, we should allow the village the honors of seeing our daughter for themselves" Jia Li smirks, pulling (Y/N) close to her as she pats the girl on her cheek. "After all, I'm sure they would be fairly surprised after your return had spread through the town,"

She had not uttered a word, scared of what would happen if she did speak. Noticing her daughter wouldn't speak, Jia Li scoffed, grabbing the girl by her arm and forcing her to stand. (Y/N)'s hands were tied behind her back, quite tightly, so there was no way for her to move them.

Bingwen holds the door open as he allows his wife and daughter to exit first, closing and locking the door behind them.

(Y/N) winces at the bright light from the sun, her eyes taking a moment to adjust. When they had adjusted, she noticed the small group of people gathered by the town square. It was all adults in that circle. No kids could be seen at all. So perhaps the children were able to rest in peace. At least that put her slightly at ease.

"So it is true," A woman's voice says aloud. She acted as though she was whispering, when clearly it was meant to reach the ears of those around her. Everyone had begun to talk amongst themselves, staring at the family before them.

When Jia Li and Bingwen stood side by side it was then the crowd ceased their muttering.

"So little (Y/N) here has, in fact, ascended and become such a lovely god," Jia Li starts. She never released her grip on her daughter.

"People have worshiped her for the great care she has of nature, praying for the safety of their lovely pets," Jia Li scoffs. "Yet she never pays respect to the village she left behind. You never did, did you?"

"Why would I?" (Y/N) scowls. Gasps escaped the crowd, with the aura of the surrounding crowd growing tense. Those words really angered them. As soon as those words left her mouth, she could feel the change in the atmosphere. Her eyes widened as her lips pressed into a thin line.