Chapter 26: Bonding Time!

Chaoxing was true to his word. He visited (Y/N) when he could at night and did so almost every night, giving her some sort of company during her days of torture.

Many days had passed once more, with (Y/N) never keeping track. It had been too long and she had assumed she was never noticed as missing, or that Hua Cheng and Xie Lian gave up. That's the tales she was fed by her mother and villagers who claimed to have heard it from other ghosts. It broke her heart.

While at first she didn't believe it, a seedling of doubt was planted in her head which grew as the days went on. Yet she knew she may have lost two friends, whom she cared for deeply, at least she had gained one person who she knew would stay by her side.

A light knock on the door was heard snapping her out of her thoughts. It was this time when the doors to the shed opened, (Y/N) wasn't scared. After all, her brother's smiling face was what had greeted her.

By the lack of sunlight which greeted the room when he opened the door, she could tell it was night. Plus, it was the only time he visited as it lessened chances of getting caught.

In his hand was a small plate of food which he placed down on the shelf as he closed the door behind him.

Quickly he untied (Y/N)'s wrists and handed her the plate. She immediately began to eat, pausing when she felt a damp cloth touch her face. Looking up she watches as her brother gently cleans her face with the cloth.

"I'm sorry I couldn't stop them" He sighs. One of his heads gently grabbed her face to hold it still while he cleaned up the dried blood and dirt on her face. Sure it may have been a bit risky, but Chaoxing had told their mother he'd only wash her face clean, and surprisingly she had allowed it

He chuckles as he looks at (Y/N) who had her cheeks stuffed with food. It reminded him of a tiny chipmunk.

"I really wish I could do more, but I'm weak compared to that crowd" He sighs wiping at her forehead.

She eats the food, setting the plate down before she replies. "It's not your fault, you're doing your best by just doing what you are now"

"I should be saying that to you" He replies, gently flicking her forehead.

She giggles rubbing the area he hit before bringing him into a hug. "Thank you, Chaoxing. Really, I mean it"

"Don't thank me yet" He replies, returning her hug. "I plan to get us out of here"

She pulls away from the hug slightly to look up at him in shock. Out of all the nights he visited, not once had he shared the idea of escaping. It was weird to hear it from him, as anytime she had mentioned it, he was too worried she'd get caught and punished more as she wasn't in the best shape and thought it was too early.

"Why the change in mind?" She questions.

"I overheard the village men speaking…" Chaoxing starts. He looks over to her and hesitates. He doesn't know if he wanted to share such information with his sister of what he heard, but he knew it'd be better to tell her than hide it.

"They…well" He starts looking away from her eyes, "They wished to torture you another way.."

"Another way? How…" She stops herself as she shudders at the thought. She had no argument against him as what he was implying finally registered in her mind.

"What's the plan then?" She asks leaning back against her brother in a hug. Normally siblings wouldn't ever be this close without some sort of insult, whether it be meaningful or not, but with the trauma and hardships both had to endure in their own ways. The only reliable person around them at the moment was each other.