Chapter 10: Ghost City

This was not what she was expecting.

When she was told they would be visiting the ghost realm, she didn't expect to find herself inside a bustling city. Ghosts were walking the street, quite unhinged too.

One long road leads straight through the market, unable to see the end. Many stalls and shops lined along the road, with giant red lanterns hanging low from above.

(Y/N) trailed behind Xie Lian, cautious of her surroundings. He had taught her how to hide her heavenly aura before entering, just to be safe as to not draw too much attention.

Glancing to the side, Dai Lu stood beside her, unphased by the commotion caused in the city. Facing the other side she spots a ghost dancing, with a smaller, weaker ghost. In an instant fire spewed from the stronger ghost's mouth, lighting the small one on fire. His screams emitted through the crowd, which cheered them on.

Her mouth hung open in horror as she froze in her steps.

Turning away she spots a small butcher stall, making food for the ghosts. She felt her whole body shiver grossed out by the food, staring at the pot with wide eyes.

From where she stood she could spot an eyeball floating around the broth in the pot, being mixed in with heaven knows what.

The noise she made of disgust caught the attention of those around her, causing the ghosts to stare in curiosity. While it was common to see female ghosts, something about (Y/N) felt different.

But as quick as the attention was on her it left. Facing the direction Xie Lian and Dai Lu were headed, she couldn't find them in the crowd at all.

It was then she noticed how close the ghosts were, the amount of people in the area, and the noise which surrounded her. This was different from her quiet forest, it was foreign. In this type of environment she wasn't the predator, preparing for its next meal, but rather she felt like the prey.

Jumping almost five feet in the air, she covers her ears at the banging of a drum. It was the same as buskers, but only this time, did the noise seem louder. Spinning around in the crowd, she feels a thudding in her chest, as the muscle memory to breath seems to escape her mind. Ghosts would push their way past her, leaving her to stumble over her own feet to avoid a harsh shove.

It felt like everything was closing in on her, and the crowd was rather rowdy, due to her stumbling closer to the busking ghosts. The hairs on her skin stand up as she feels the familiar feeling of being watched.

Scanning each face near her, none paid attention to the young goddess who was on the verge of collapsing, yet to her, she knew there were eyes on her, and she wouldn't stop until she found out who. Her eyes stop one she spots a face, rather a mask. The white mask bore a smile oh so woeful, with the young man behind it wearing his hair in a braid. Upon looking at the eyes of the mask, she feels her breathing calm.

He seemed to tense, shoulders raising as though surprised. That's how she knew he knew she spotted him among the crowd of many. Her eyes narrow, eyebrows furrowing as she leaned forward slightly. Instead of freaking her out more, the supposed eye contact had calmed her.

Focusing on one thing rather than everything had helped her regain her breathing. She fixed her posture slightly, in hopes of approaching him as among the crowd, he was the only one who didn't scare her.

Step after step she followed the direction the masked man seemed to be, growing frustrated as the distance didn't lessen at all. Despite keeping her eyes on him.

Before she could say anything a hand on her shoulder had caused her to spin around in panic at the idea of a random man touching her.

To her surprise it was a woman. One wearing revealing clothes with layers of make-up at that.

"Are you lost?" She quirks an eyebrow, scanning the girl up and down. (Y/N) felt herself shrink under her gaze, unsure how to react. Glancing back where the masked man stood, she grew surprised to see him no longer there.

"I...um...yes" She squeaks out.

"I would assume so, you seem like a new face" The female replied "What's your name?"

"Han (Y/N)?" (Y/N) whispers, her tone raising at the end.

"You don't sound too sure of that, sweetheart. My name is Jian Lan" She replies, moving the fan from her face "I assume you're lost? Or perhaps are you looking for some fun"

"Fun?"

Jian Lan paused, the idea she had left her mind as she stared at the girl before her. Her doe-like eyes stared at the female ghost in curiosity, like that of a child eager to learn something fun and new. The idea Jian Lan had in mind was definitely not the idea of fun (Y/N) had in mind.

Shaking her head, Jian Lan laughs. A man had approached the two, talking to Jian Lan. Without another word uttered to (Y/N) they disappeared in the crowd.

Like that, once more (Y/N) was left alone in the crowd, only this time, she spots a white clad man heading down the street. She felt herself let out a breath of relief as she raced forward.

Reaching out her hand she grabs the back of his clothes, holding it tightly in her grip. It was only then she realized how badly she had been shaking.

Xie Lian perked up, glancing behind him and spotting her head. He could feel her hands shaky as they gripped the back of his clothes, deciding not to comment on it.

She made sure to stay close, keeping her gaze on the floor as Xie Lian led the way. His steps not once faltered, causing her curiosity to grow.

"How do you know where you're going?" She questions. She thought it was still newer territory for him, despite claiming his lover lived here.

"San- er, Hua Cheng rules over this land" He replies, his tone slightly soft when speaking of said man.

"Oh," was all she could utter, not needing him to explain more.

"A lot of gods tend to fear him..." Dai Lu pipes in. She earned a harsh stare from Xie Lian, in warning. A stare which any child receives from their mother in public would shut them up real quick.

Those words that Dai Lu uttered made (Y/N) freeze in fear "They fear him? Why?"

They had stopped near a lake, before them stood a tall building, with the name 'Paradise Manor' displayed above the entrance. From where the stood music could be heard faintly.

Xie Lian turns to face her, ignoring the music and places his hands on her shoulders, leaning down to be at eye level. Once he made eye contact, he made sure to keep it.

"He won't hurt you, I promise, nor is he feared for reasons you would think" He states, but pauses "Okay he may be feared for reasons you'd think, but nothing will happen."

"You promise?" She questions softly.

Promises weren't something she could rely on with how many times they had been broken in her life. Hearing that word again made her grimace, as both the reminders of the past and the knowledge of knowing promises were meant to be broken did nothing to bring her calmness.

Xie Lian nods his head, confirming he would promise. Which to (Y/N), meant to be cautious and have her walls up. Dai Lu glanced at the two before facing the other way.

"I'm going to get something to drink, for both (Y/N) and I, I'll be back" She states.

"Wait, but would you need help?" (Y/N) questions, prepared to make an escape if she could.

"No, I saw a stand on the way in, so I should be okay!" She smiles, reassuring the two she'd be fine.

"Alright, if you aren't back in fifteen minutes, I'll go look for you" (Y/N) states. Dai Lu nods, determination glistening in her eyes as she turns and runs off.

Facing the manor, Xie Lian and (Y/N) had made their way to it. By the looks of Xie Lian's lack of reaction to the place it meant one thing.

They had made it at last