Chapter 8: A Child

It had been a few years since the bridegroom incident. (Y/N) had done what she knew best and hid in the trees of the growing forest.

She kneeled in the grass before a pile of dirt, with a stone which was resting neatly above it all. The trees rustled in the wind, leaves falling gently and beautifully around them, the bright green contrasting greatly, to the light pink clothing she wore. A white top layer covered her arms which were collared in a similar pink. White lotuses etched in the design. Under the very top layer a white belt tied around her waist. Her feet were still bare as she rested on her calves, not minding the dirt.

Beside her sat the bandaged boy, who she grew to know went by the name Lang Ying. The two sat in silence, hands clasped tightly with their eyes shut closed.

After a few moments, (Y/N) opens her eyes gently patting the boy.

"Shall we make some crowns?" She asks with a wide smile. Lang Ying nods his head happily croaking out a small yes.

"Don't forget to gather enough for Xiao Ying" She reminds him as he trudged off. Sighing as he walked away, all (Y/N) could do was stare sadly at the mound before her.

She had gone into hiding, scared of how people truly were after witnessing the events of the whole ghost ordeal, but Xiao Ying gave her hope that perhaps, there was still good in the world. Despite hiding, she wasn't quite alone, Lang Ying had accompanied her and spent most of his time by her side.

They had decided to make it a tradition for once every month to sit with Xiao Ying and make flower crowns, even if Xiao Ying couldn't make it with them. The idea sparked with (Y/N) who had thought it a nice way to honor the girl for her brave deeds.

Lang Ying only nodded his head, turning around to venture in the vast forest to find the proper flowers.

The trees rose high, blocking out most of the sun, yet the forest still remained fairly lit up. The birds sing happily, with rabbits eating at the plants below.

Lang Ying had made his way to the small flowers, which were growing. A pile of dianthus chinensis had bloomed in the hot sun, near the border of the forest. They were close enough for Lang Ying to reach without having to worry about being spotted. A little ways sat some rosa chinensis, which caught his eyes. He had yet to see them, always used to picking the dianthus chinensis which were always bright to bloom, despite only being supposed to live once a year. Perhaps (Y/N) had a small play in it.

He had made his way over to the rosa chinensis, picking a few for each crown, adding to the growing pile in his hand.

A small outline, sitting in the pile of flowers nearby, caused the boy to tense up. Nobody was ever in the forest at this time, especially around the flowers. At most he'd witness a passerby tear a flower out from its roots and continue home, not sit in the growing plants. The small person had their head resting in between their legs, which were pulled close to their chest.

Lang Ying with one glance picked the rest of his flowers and turned to leave. He wanted nothing to do with whatever the kid was there for.

However, luck was not on his side as a mix of leaves and a branch he stepped on echoed through the trees, causing the little person to snap their head in his direction.

Upon making eye contact he learned the little person was in fact a girl and she had been crying. He grimaced slightly, stepping away in a small movement.

It was as he feared as the girl hopped up and ran over to him, her footsteps light and unheard. Her small hands gripped his shirt as she stared up at him. He tried to lean away, hesitant of new people, even if it were a child.

"Mister, can you help me?" She sniffles, staring up at him with round eyes. She seemed to be no older than five.

All he could do was croak, no words escaped. But the young girl took that answer as a yes, her posture perking up.

"Thank you!" She wipes her eyes, not letting go of his clothes, as though she was scared.

"I just woke up not far from here with no memory, and I don't know where my parents are" She sniffles once more, the tears she had wiped away beginning to be replaced by fresh ones.

Lang Ying only glanced at the flowers he held, and to the little girl, trying to escape her grip, but she had a strong hold on his clothes. Slumping over even more he can only hold the flowers close as he tilts his head, motioning for the girl to follow him.

He began his treck back to the girl who was waiting, in the midst of the trees. The two had reached a small opening where (Y/N) sat, her back towards them. Hearing the sound of footsteps she turns to Lang Ying with a smile, which widens when she spots the flowers.

He places the flowers down in front of her, then motioning to the girl hiding behind him. She stared at the older woman with slight fear, as if her stranger danger instincts finally kicked in.

"Hello there dear" She coos softly holding a hand out to the girl.

The girl looks at Lang Ying who only nods, happy to get her off of him. She then grabs a hold of (Y/N)'s hand with her small one, her guard lowering slightly.

"How is it you found my friend here?" (Y/N) asks with a warm smile.

“I saw him picking flowers…” she starts shyly, avoiding eye contact “I thought he could help me..but it seems he lead me to someone more likely to help”

Now it was Yang Ling’s turn to avoid eye contact as he felt embarrassed for not wanting to offer help, and being slightly called out about it. (Y/N) could only chuckle at the situation before her, trying her best to be comforting for the girl.

“So my dear, what seems to be the issue?” (Y/N) asks, making sure to stay kneeled to reach the girl's height and feel more welcoming.

“I…I seem to have no memory of my parents” She starts once more “I woke up not far from the forest, where I found your friend, but when I awoke it was dark. There was barking before I heard someone shouting at me…I got scared so I fled into the forest because I thought they were mean people. I stopped to hide in the flowers, so when I saw your friend I thought “He must be nice!” so I ran over to him hoping he could help me”

“Oh dear…” (Y/N) sighs, she takes a look over to the small girl unsure of how to break the news to her “My child…I’m not sure we would be able to find you your parents…”

“I know” The girl states bluntly, her voice cracking slightly “It’s because I’m dead”

Her bluntness surprises both Yang Ling and (Y/N) who give each other a surprised glance before turning their attention back to the girl. She seemed to be numb to that fact, her face remaining blank, yet a trace of tears still ran down her face. It wasn’t an expression you would wish to see on a little kid.

“I know my parents are still alive, and I just want to know how I died.…and if they’ll miss me” She whispers the last part, looking down to the grass.

“I don’t think I can be much help by myself” (Y/N) starts, patting her on the head, leaving her hand on the top. “But I have an idea of who might be able to help us.”

She turns to face Lang Ying with a knowing smile, knowing the boy was not quite comfortable around the person she was talking about. With that knowledge she nods her head to him, as if confirming the boy's suspicion.

“You can stay here to care for Xiao Ying and the animals, I’ll make sure you are well fed” She reassures. Never would she want him to go hungry again, nor have the small bond they built broken because of something small. After all she was his new pillar to lean on, and he was hers.

All she could receive from Lang Ying was a small, breathy whisper, this time sounding different from his normal croaks. Though to (Y/N), it was easy to interpret the single word he whispered with concern “How”

She simply smiled mischievously, “I guess it’s time to finally let myself be found"