Chapter 3: Trust a Viking?

Both the night fury and the lycanwing child were hiding behind a rock as the viking teen walked into the cove holding a fish and a slice of bread.

Hiccup watched as the night fury and the little girl creeped out from behind a rock. The night fury sniffed at him and the fish as he slowly approached Hiccup while the girl stayed back as she was giving the viking teen a distrustful glare. The night fury then retreats and the girl growls upon seeing Hiccup's knife. Realizing that the two felt threatened, Hiccup kicks his knife into the water. The two then relaxed and the night fury quickly acts friendly, and he slowly moves to take the fish from Hiccup, revealing a toothless mouth.

Viking teen: Huh. Toothless. I could've sworn you had...

The night fury, who the girl was now mentally calling Toothless from now on, 's teeth suddenly pop out of his gums and he snatches the fish, startling Hiccup and causing him to drop the slice of bread, which was quickly snatched by the girl.

Viking teen: ...teeth.

The lycanwing child then happily ate the slice of bread and watched with a smile as Toothless started approaching Hiccup, backing him up to a rock.

Viking teen: Uh, uh, no, no, no. I-I don't have any more.

The lycanwing child then held in her laughter as Toothless regurgitated the fish and had the viking teen take a bite out of the fish and had him swallow it. The boy then gave the dragon a smile, and Toothless tries to return the smile, he then snarls and walked away when the boy tried to reach towards the dragon. Hiccup's eyes then widened when he heard the girl speak for the first time as she was looking at him with a distrustful glare, her voice was a bit growly.

Lycanwing child: ( to the viking teen: ) You viking...

The girl then transformed into her dragon form, and because of her standing in front of him, he saw that her dragon form was only twice the size of a Terrible Terror.

Lycanwing child: ( to the viking teen: ) Me lycan... You hurt me or friend, me slit throat in you sleep.

The lycanwing child then flew off and landed on the dead tree in the cove, she laid down on her stomach on the tree's branch like a cat, and she glared at the viking teen as Toothless ignites a small patch of dirt and the dragon sleeps on top of it. The lycanwing child then laid her head down on the branch and slowly fell asleep.

After some time, she woke up to the sound of a tree branch breaking, she then watched in curiosity as Toothless drew something in the ground. Toothless then becomes angry when the boy stepped on the drawing's lines.

The girl then glides down from the tree and began walking towards the two are Hiccup began stepping over the lines to Toothless. She then watched in confusion as the teen offered his hand to Toothless while looking away, the night fury then touch his nose to the viking teen's hand before he snorts and runs away. Hiccup then turned to see that the lycanwing child had turned back into a human and she was looking at him with a confused yet curious expression.

Lycanwing child: You no fear me or friend?

Hiccup: No, I... I'm not afraid of you. ( With a kind smile: ) I'm Hiccup. What's your name?

Lycanwing child: Me no name.

The lycanwing child then ran off and Hiccup watched with a sad expression as she ran to the pile of feathers and animal furs behind a boulder. She then slowly fell asleep in the pile as Hiccup left.