Chapter 29

Chap 29

(Rhaenyra is 35, Alicent is 35, Viserra is 31, Aemar is 26, Aemond and Maela are 17, Helaena is 18, Aegon is 20, Rhaena and Baela are 15, Daenaera is 2)

"I hate that you are leaving but simultaneously I am relieved, how is that possible?" Baela exclaimed as they got Maela's things together.

She had returned with Vaemond and brought the news of her betrothal to Baela and their grandmother almost immediately. Both had smiled at the news, Baela rushed to hug her, but Rhaenys still saved a glare for Vaemond. From that point he explained that she would return to Kings Landing in a fortnight so she and Aemond could court properly. At those words Baela turned and gave her sister a 'look' that said I told you so.

For the next two days she had been helping Maela pack. And for those two days they were well aware of the arguing that was going on behind closed doors.

"How dare you." Rhaenys seethed when she got Vaemond alone in the high tower where the painted table was. "Giving away Maela's hand without my consent –"

"And why sister, would I need your consent? Maela is not your child."

"She is my ward. Therefore I am to decide who she weds."

Vaemond smiled, "Well my apologies. Who was it you had in mind?"

She went silent but tilted her head with a glare that told him he was playing a dangerous game.

"The match I made for Maela is a strong one. A Prince of the Seven Kingdoms, but not in line for the throne. Such gives her a place of power without the duties, or dangers, of the Crown."

"Prince Aemond is. . . "

"Is what?" Vaemond asked folding his hands in front of him. "Well mannered? Educated? A warrior? A gentleman? Moral? Rich? Which of these traits displeases you?"

Rhaenys sighed and approached the table where wine and cups were always readily available. She poured herself a large glass and took a deep gulp before turning back to Vaemond. "Never did I think you would use her in your schemes."

"It is hardly using her –"

"Really? Does this match not give you the ear of the Queen? And her father the Hand?"

Vaemond took a seat at the table, "Regardless of how this may or may not benefit me do you not see that Maela is happy?"

"So you do not deny it."

"She could have ended up wife to a lord older then Corlys. Or more cruel then Maegor. Or as egotistical as a Lannister. I did see Lord Jason speaking with her and the Prince."

"Gods." Rhaenys groaned taking another long pull from her goblet.

"This match is not only to someone her age but also to a man who will treat her well. Aemond is smitten with her, and she him. Any temper or inner fire he has will be directed at anyone who dare tries to harm her."