Chapter 30

Chap 30

When they arrived at the dining hall Maela felt a nervous pit in the bottom of her stomach. While she had been comfortable around the royal family since she was young something about having her sharp tongued aunt there made her fret. Especially given that her aunt's dress, while gorgeous, did leave one feeling intimidated. Perhaps it was the metalwork. But for Maela, it was like two different parts of herself were coming together for the first time, who she was around her family and the girl she had always been on her trips to the capitol - and she was worried that the two would not coexist in the same space.

She laced her arm with her aunt's in an attempt to arrive looking more confident then she was. The doors were opened for them as they made their way inside where Aemond and Helaena had their backs to them. The pregnant Princess was already sitting down and in such a position Maela could just make out the smallest of bumps at her midsection. Her head was craned upward as she smiled at Aemond who stood by her chair conversing pleasantly with her, a small smile on his own face as well.

Helaena was seated at the end of one long side of the table, Aemond's seat appeared to be to her right, while to Helaena's left on a short edge was Otto Hightower who stared down the table to his daughter who had a seat at the other short side. The Queen was standing giving instructions to her maid Talya, though her eyes kept glancing to her father. Even from across the room Maela could see how shielded the look was. Like she had suspicions about her father - or accusations.

Across from Helaena on the other side of the Hand sat Aegon who was busy refilling his cup. An empty chair rested beside him, then another. Talya approached and directed them to their seats. Maela beside Aemond and Viserra across from her, both of them beside the Queen. As her arm unlatched from her aunt Aemond turned from his sister and smiled at his betrothed. He pulled out her chair for her, dismissing the servant who went to do it for him and she gave him a gentle thank you.

She tried to ignore Aunt Viserra's sharp eyes that she could feel piercing into her as they all settled and the meal was served. Bowls of stews and soups were placed about, platters of soft cooked fruits like pears and figs sat in puddles of their own sweet juices. Candle holders that resembled the seven pointed star were littered between the food - something that did not go unnoticed to Viserra. A roasted boar was placed in front of Aemond but it was the platter left between her and Aunt Viserra that shocked Maela the most. It was a beautiful huge fish, large cuts had been made in its side and herbs and lemon slices had been laid over the skin. Her aunt's eyes lit up and she suddenly looked famished as she eyed the platter.

Maela leaned closer to Aemond who tilted his head toward her with a small smile as he noticed her noticing the fish. "I thought you said the Red Keep does not usually prepare seafood?"

His eye turned to his lap, the smile not budging, "We had it shipped in." he whispered back, "I. . . wanted something familiar to you here."

Touched, she moved her hand to cover his on the table. Aegon made a gagging sound which neither of them heard from their private bubble. Aemond's eye drifted to the pendant around her neck, nestled between her collarbones. It was the serving fork clattering that broke them from their moment. It was Helaena, as she took several slices of the roast boar and piled them onto her plate.

Maela was gladdened at the sight. It was not just the roast boar, but a bit of everything Helaena had stacked on her plate. Maela noted her nausea must have subsided in the past fortnight. Her brothers were also now doing the same though none of the three tucked in immediately. Instead, once their plates were full they paused, waited, and turned to their mother. Alicent was folding her hands on the table and cleared her throat as she shut her eyes and tilted her head downward. Maela followed suit, lacing her fingers together, though that was all she did. She did not know how to pray properly.