Chapter 39

Chap 39

Episode 8 part 5

Maela sighed as she rested her head on Aemond's chest, her hand running through his hair, "You are good at making love."

She jostled a bit when he chuckled, "Am I?"

"Mm-hmm, though I suppose you know that."

"How?" the confusion in his voice was evident, but there was also a touch of something else.

She sighed, "I'm not your first." Her voice was soft, she stated it like a fact, she was not sad about it, she understood that men and women were simply different, she did not believe either one was greater or lesser then the other, but still, they were different. She traced circles over his chest, and bashfully admitted, "I know you've been with whores."

He sat up on one elbow, though his arm stayed around her cradling her body to his, "What are you talking about?"

She mustered up her courage and looked up at him from under her lashes, "Aegon said it, that you are familiar with the Street of Silk." He looked away from her, his face hard as he stared down at the sheets. "It's alright, it's what men do is it not? Like training with sword and shield."

He shook his head, "Mae it was nothing like that."

"It doesn't matter what it was like, it's none of my business."

"It did not happen the way you think it did."

Her eyes shimmered, like she was desperate to understand but at the same time was not sure if she wanted to know. But, as usual, curiosity got the best of her. "Then tell me."

Though he wanted her to know the truth, saying it was still a grueling task.

"Aemond I am yours." She said reaching out and cupping his jaw as they sat up against the pillows, "If it's something that weighs you down, say it aloud and let your heart be light. If it's a burden, then let me shoulder some of its weight."

He sighed and flopped back down so he was staring up at the canopy. "There's no easy way to put it, so I suppose I should just say it."

She waited as he lifted one arm so his hand rested under his head. Maela tried not to get distracted by the way the position made his bicep flex.

"Aegon took me to the Street of Silk for my thirteenth nameday. I remember the look on his face the whole way there. His grin was. . . giddy like a child but, with an edge, I still do not know if he was trying to make me feel better or if it was another of his pranks. If his intention was to put me in an awkward situation just to laugh at my discomfort."

"I thought men enjoyed brothels?"

"Perhaps if I had been older I might have enjoyed the excursion." He sighed, "But all I recall is how disgusted I felt. To be stripped bare, pushed onto a bed and pinned down, while someone else used my body the way they pleased. I would never wish that feeling on anyone. . . even my worst enemy. Not even Lucerys. I wish for his eye but that, that is too far."

She paused and thought his words over, as she did so, something occurred to her, "Is that why you waited. . . until I pulled you down over me?"

"Hm, I wanted it to be on your terms, if we ended up in that position. I did not want you to feel forced or pressured. It's a terrible feeling."

She could not fight the smile that appeared on her face as she laid back as well and took up her former position of resting her head on his shoulder with her hand on his chest, "That is what makes you such a good man, a fair man, a just man."