Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

5 years have passed (Rhaenyra is 33, Alicent is 33, Viserra is 29, Aemar is 24, Aemond and Maela are 15, Helaena is 16, Aegon is 18, Rhaena and Baela are 13)

Steel hit against steel. The ringing echoed across the training yard. It was early in the morn – so early no other knights were present. Cole swung his longsword with minimal effort. He was duty bound to follow the commands of the royal family, however his current command was difficult for him to carry out.

"You are holding back!" Aemond sneered, his missing eye now covered by layers of bandages to keep the fresh stitches clean. His other eye made up for the loss, shining with twice the anger.

"You are still recovering my Prince –"

"My mother told you to take it easy on me didn't she?" he accused with venom coloring his tone.

Ser Criston sighed. He cared for his Queen, she had saved his life. And he knew how much she cared for her children. He knew he had to train her sons so they could defend themselves, but he was also worried that Aemond would push himself so hard he would become his own worst enemy.

In the weeks since their return from Driftmark the boy had transformed. He was more determined than ever to prove himself. He had conquered a dragon. Now he wanted to conquer the sword. He knew the feeling, the pride, that came with overcoming something difficult – and he wanted to feel that again.

Unknown to everyone Aemond had a driving force behind his goal that was much more selfless then any would assume the boy could be. A promise. An oath. One he could not fulfil unless he became the greatest swordsman in the realm.

"Attack me!" the ten year old shouted.

Cole hesitated, rounding the perimeter of their sparring circle.

The look in Aemond's eye turned hard. "That is an order."

Reluctant, and gritting his teeth Cole charged at the boy. He doled several hits which were met by both Aemond's sword and his shield. He was getting better, but he tired easily. Both from the fast strikes and his body trying to heal at the same time.

This was a bad idea, Ser Criston felt in his core.

Aemond lifted the sword and struck Criston's blade but Cole only rotated his wrist to reposition his weapon before he swung at the boy. Aemond ducked and moved under the sword now on Ser Criston's right. The knight pivoted and swung again, this time meeting Aemond's sword. He saw the Prince's cheeks puff as he took deep breaths trying to maintain the stance, even though Ser Criston was three times his size.

When Aemond pulled back he was quick to strike again, meeting the Dornishman blow for blow. He was light on his feet, he had to give the boy that. He was forcing Cole to waste time by needing to locate where he had gone, to his left or to his right. It reminded Cole of Aemar, clearly his pupil had been observing the other knights in his free time. A wise decision.