Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Episode 6: part 2

Aemar was taking the advantage in his duel against both Ser Luthor Largent and Ser Balon Byrch

Aemar was taking the advantage in his duel against both Ser Luthor Largent and Ser Balon Byrch. From the sidelines Harwin watched with his hands behind his back as his pupil blocked each blow with ease. Between his relation to Corlys Velaryon, a well seasoned warrior, and his greenseer ability mastered the boy would be unstoppable in battle. Every now and then between blocking with his sword then his shield Harwin saw his eyes turn pure white. Sometimes Aemar would fight even while in a vision - a feat that Harwin had no idea how to even begin processing. He smiled as Ser Luthor took a hit to his foot and fell back, his legs in the air as he scrambled. And he laughed a deep belly laugh as Ser Balon was forced to hunch and hide behind his shield when Aemar disarmed him.

"I yield!" Ser Balon - who was easily twice the boy's size - declared.

Aemar stepped back, tossed aside his shield and used his now free hand to run his fingers through his hair. Unlike most Targaryens and Velaryons Aemar kept his white blonde hair short, short on the sides and in the back and longer on top. Now, from sweat and his fingers rifling through it, it stuck up in the front making him the most disheveled looking of all the knights in the yard.

All around knights in red and black sparred among the City Watch in their all onyx armor. Servants went around restuffing archery targets that had gone soft from so many arrows being skewered into them. And members of the Kingsguard were easily spotted in their white sparring tunics.

A shout drew both Harwin's attention and Aemar's and they turned to see Rhaenyra's boys running across the dirt, weaving through the older men. There was no sign of Aegon or Aemond.

"Nephews." Aemar greeted with a smile. "Care to try your luck?"

Jace chuckled, "Only if you promise not to cheat uncle."

Aemar faked looking offended before he descended into a fit of laughter. "An important lesson though, all is fair in love and war."

He spun his sword and the boys grabbed their wooden equivalents. The weapon in Aemar's hand was blunted so it was not likely to cut down the wooden swords, but the difference in weight would help Jace and Luke grow stronger.

Of course, that would take time. That much was clear when Aemar's first strike knocked Luke's sword right out of his hand. Aemar sighed and picked it up, he threw it to the younger brother but Luke fumbled and it hit the ground again.

Aemar smirked, "Next time, you will catch it. Now take your stance!"

Both boys excitedly stood at the ready, Ser Harwin used his sword to tap their knees and shoulders into perfect positioning. Then they engaged their uncle.

Jace was the first to charge forth, Luke still recovering his confidence after being so easily disarmed. In one swift move Aemar used his sword to deflect Jace's then he spun his body so his shoulder hit the boy so hard he fell back into the dirt. Aemar turned away from him as Luke ran forward. He thought he had the advantage being to Aemar's back, but his uncle proved him wrong when he draped his sword over his shoulder making the blade run parallel to his spine. The sound of the steel meeting wood reached his ear and with a flick of his wrist Luke's sword was pushed to the side while Aemar spun again to face the boys. Jace had recovered and tried once more to claim a victory. He did better this time, matching Aemar blow for blow. Until Aemar found another opening.