Chapter 19

Turned out that ghosts of the past could kill you

Turned out that ghosts of the past could kill you. Irene stared at her daughter with a wave of veiled anger in her eyes. How was it she had suffered as a dragon for years for this child to be living a happy and free life? Erza stood proudly her scarlet hair in tight braids with silver circular pieces accenting the style of the warriors of old. 

Her armour was ancient, a gift from Lucy she watched as her mother's face seemed frozen with disgust as her eyes roamed over her. Her weapon however had caused fear made of fallen stars and the feathers of an angel. It was a weapon thought to only exist in myths the reaper's scythe.

Suddenly her expression contoured to one of fury "How did you get that you are nothing an insignificant error of my past". Erza smirked and allowed her aura to show it was large and had a deep red, purple hue the pressure was heavy as the ground cracked. Wendy watched on for a bit before laughing "Nothing, insignificant an error. Erza is anything but the angel of death himself deemed her worthy to wield Adjudicator".

Irene gazed at Wendy with narrowed eyes "The Azure Dragon, you I shall fight" Wendy stopped laughing and watched the woman before turning to Erza "Is she serious? I find her to be incredibly stupid." Erza felt her lip twitch before she inclined her head to the younger girl "It is not surprising after all she left didn't, she".

The two Fairy Tail members laughed as the woman glared at them there was a shift in the atmosphere and Irene decided to attack them first. Adjudicator glowed and absorbed the attack before feeding the extra magic to Erza, who smirked and separated the double-sided scythe. They glowed before shifting into twin katanas. 

Wendy watched as Erza lunged at the woman with incredible speed, her eyes drifted over to the woman analysing as she dodged every strike. The fact Irene was enchanting as she moved away from the blade.

Erza was not an enchanter, but Wendy revelled in the art. Brown eyes glowed as she whispered several enchantments. Each boosting Erza's strength and speed, Irene's eyes widened as she attempted to move out of the way. Silent enchantments were hard as they drained half of the magical core, but they were powerful. 

However, Wendy had gotten around it softly whispering the enchantments had the same effect, however, they drained very little magic. If Irene wanted to waste, her power she could but they wouldn't.

Suddenly Irene stopped and Erza jumped back with weary eyes. First blood had been drawn Irene laughed as she touched the wound on her side staring at the blood in disbelief. Wendy tilted her head as she and Erza made eye contact it was time to get serious.

The ground around them shakes before breaking into pieces a large chasm forms under their feet. Both jumped backwards landing on the unsteady ground behind them. Irene gazed at them with such hatred "I gave up my life I was forced to become a dragon against my will, I was tortured by my own people do you think you can defeat me".

"I AM IRENE BELSERION THE SCARLET DESPAIR YOU CAN'T KILL ME" Her form shifted, and a large dragon appeared. Erza now smiled and stepped back "Hey Wendy want to kill a dragon" The blue-haired mage was already standing with a feral grin on her face. "dragon slayer against dragon or dragon against dragon" Something about the way Wendy asked made Erza pale trying to keep her composure she replied, "Is she so strong you can't beat her as the dragon slayer you were trained to be".

Wendy turned to Erza and gave her a look the woman had only seen once before on the battlefield it was intent to kill and destroy. The small girl turned back to Irene and then vanished. The first attack was heard and not seen as the large red dragon crashed to the ground Wendy's fist in her side. 

The girl jumped back and looked at the dragon as it raised to its feet. Never kick a man when he was down echoed in the girl's head no matter how cruel and powerful, she could be on the battlefield she maintained her decorum as a noblewoman. Heartfilia struck hard and fast leaving nothing behind, but dragons left a legacy of fear and destruction. She had two legacies to live up to and she intended to honour both.

"Get up Irene I can't have the great scarlet despair dying from a simple wing attack" The taunting was cruel, but her voice was cold and detached. Erza watched on with surprise, Lucy had told her that the Heartfilia way was a bit cruel, but this was a one-sided battle. Irene swiped a claw at Wendy who just smirked and jumped out of the way, her magic was gathering. "Natsu is so close to killing your little master" A tinge of humour and harshness was held in her tone as the girl continued to dodge every blow.

 Mocking and insulting Irene finally she saw her opening "Sky Dragon Claw" Her heel dug into Irene's neck launching the dragon across the battlefield. "pathetic I have not even started". She began to walk over to the fallen figure "Ile Vernier" Suddenly she was right in front of the dragon her features becoming a bit draconian "Ile Arms" Every blow after that was at a speed Erza could not follow and twice as hard.

The fact Irene returned to her human form just to dodge them said a lot but Wendy just grinned at the woman "I am a dragon slayer my magic exists solely to kill your kind why don't you let me kill you in your true form" Irene was shaken by the young girl's words and Erza took that time to finish her "Irene Belserion you have been judged and we the tribunal of the Grim reaper find you guilty". Adjudicator returned to its scythe form and was quickly pierced through the woman's chest through the scales of the dragon of despair and war.

The Queen of Dragons was dead.

The roar that Wendy let out was resounding it echoed to the ends of Fiore instinct forcing every dragon slayer to acknowledge the cry of victory and the placement of the new Queen of Dragons. Erza stood strong as her weapon fed her every bit of her mother's magic with Wendy by her side. They would later in the records of Ishgar be known for the destruction they left on the battlefield labelled as the Dragon Queen of the Sky and the Dragon Queen of War.

Levy raised an eyebrow at Lucy who just smirked and let out her roar in return, it was on par with Wendy's, but it felt motherly and protective a dragon calling for her brood members to return. With their battles won the two women had no issue coming back to the blonde's side, however, they were surprised when a man walked over and stamped on Irene's bloody corpse. Wendy growled at him "You smell of dragon, yet you do not honour the dead of your kind on the battlefield, Dragon King of Destruction you dare mock our victory".

Achnologia turned to Wendy and stepped back he had heard her victory announcement and expected it to be an older dragon he had failed to kill instead he saw the heir of Grandeeney's legacy. Irene's daughter looked at him with a grin exposing every tooth her threat was clear. She wanted to tear out his throat so either his response was satisfactory, or he would die at her hand.

Finally, he spoke "You honour Grandeeney's legacy it's impressive the damage you both did to kill the Scarlet Despair let's see if you have that luck against another dragon" As the man walked off Wendy scoffed "Kinslayer, let's head back to our brood".

The two left Achnologia in the destroyed battlefield miles away from their guild after all he was not a threat to them at the moment, so they did not need to kill him yet.