Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

Stuart was nine when his brother left. Most people don't remember too much from when they were nine, but Stuart sure did. He remembered a lot of things. He remembered Jennifer Torres, a girl from his Kindergarten class who left later that year. For some reason, everybody in his class had forgotten about her. He remembered his worm friend, Macie, he met playing at recess. He was playing with dirt when he found her, and he loved Macie, but his teacher made him put her back before letting him come back inside.

He remembered lots of things, but most of all, he remembered a lot about Axl.

He idolized him as a kid. He was his big brother, and Stuart felt like he wanted everybody to know it. Why wouldn't he? He had the coolest big brother ever! He walked with him and Amy down the street to the bus stop every morning, and he'd hold his hand to help him leap over great big mud puddles and when it was so rainy that it soaked his little shoes he'd let him ride on his back. His hand was much bigger than his, and his shadow was so much taller on the pavement. Axl was always so cool, he wore such cool clothes and he listened to such cool music.

Axl had a little radio he took with him almost everywhere. Dad didn't allow him to have it or any other music in the house, but he had it anyway. He listened to it under the blankets at night sometimes and now and then when he promised to be quiet he let Stuart in too. Afterschool sometimes he would play for him and Amy Queen and it was so awesome.

He was such a good big brother. Stuart was kind of a sensitive kid, Dad always said he'd make a man out of him someday. He never felt really big or strong or manlike. Besides, all the other boys in his grade always bragged about how manly they were, just like their dads, but Stuart didn't really want to be just like them, they were loud, and so was his dad, he didn't really want to be like him. If anything he wanted to be like Axl. Axl was so awesome.

But his dad was always angry about something. He always drank that icky smelling stuff that he said for Stuart to never drink, and he would smoke cigarettes all the time. It hurt his nose. But all his friends always boasted about how they're so cool, just like their dads. Stephen left a pack of cigarettes out one morning before going to work. Stuart thought it was kinda cool, so he took them off the counter, stuffed it in his backpack, and went off to the bus.

Stuart came back home afterschool that day and he heard his father making a ruckus about something. He never knew why his dad was always mad. A lot of the time though he blamed it on Axl. Stuart always wondered what his brother had done that made Dad always mad at him.

Stuart set his backpack down on the bench and tucked his shoes under it. "Dad..?" he asked quietly, "What's wrong...?"

His father chucked a couch cushion across the room, "Your fucking brother stole my cigarettes!" he spat.

Stuart swallowed guiltily, "Dad...." he squeaked.

His dad growled, "Not now Stuart I don't have time!" he barked, trudging to his feet and down the hallway, and Stuart felt his heart race knowing he was going to his brother's room. He didn't want William to get in trouble because of what he did. He heard his father yelling, "Where did you put my cigarettes!?"

Stuart hurried after him, standing meekly in the doorway and watching as his dad barked at his brother. Axl, who had been sitting on his bunk, studying his Night At The Opera cassette tape, set it down. "What?" His dad ripped Axl's cassette out of his hands forcefully. Axl hissed, "Hey that's mine!"

His father held it away from him, "Yeah and those cigarettes are mine!! You give 'em back and you can have your tape back!!"

"I didn't take them!"

"DON'T LIE TO ME YOU LITTLE PUNK," His dad yelled, pulling at the tape from the cassette.

Axl scrambled from his bunk, "Stop it please I'm not lying I didn't take them!!" It was then that Axl noticed Stuart in the doorway, cowering frightfully like a scared puppy, and he must've realized what was going on. Something flashed in his eyes, biting his tongue. Axl took a deep breath, looking down, "You're right.. I took them..." he muttered quietly, "I shouldn't've lied sir......"