Chapter 25: The Miracle No Magic Can Make

(Gusion's POV)

Since our house above V.E.N.O.M's base was still under construction, I had to move Hanabi to the Paxley two weeks prior to the estimated day of birth. Most of the Paxleys were quite accepting towards her recently, except for my uncle. It didn't really matter because we stayed at my own villa and I wasn't allowed just anyone to come to see her.

This afternoon, Hanabi's water broke. I had already prepared equipment days prior based on Rafaela's instruction. I was very nervous and couldn't stay still even a bit. Meanwhile, Hanabi looked so calm on her bed, counting seconds to her labor.

"You used to be very composed during any mission, honey," she put on a weak smile. Her head leaned back as she was hiding the discomfort in her belly. Rafaela assisted her to manage her breathing.

"This one is different," I was walking back and forth, waiting for the moment to come.

"We'll be okay. We're in the best hands," she continued to manage her breathing. She had trusted Rafaela since the first time her pregnancy was revealed.

"Where's her last report?" I took the paper report from her last check up from the table. Everything was fine, but I still couldn't stay calm.

"Honey?" She stretched out her hand towards me. "Hold my hand, please." I came to her and held her hand, it was cold. "I'm nervous too," she said while rubbing her belly, then she suddenly winched in pain. "Aaw!!"

"It's okay, Hana. We got you," Rafaela helped Hanabi get into the position.

"What should I do?" I tried to stay calm even though I still failed to. There's a sense of helplessness to see her in pain, yet I couldn't do anything.

"You're doing great, Gusion. Just hold her hand and support her at all costs. You'll be good," Rafaela convinced me, but I didn't feel convinced at all. Yet, I didn't want to bother her in the process, I wanted her to focus on Hanabi.

"Allright," I said. I took a deep breath to calm myself.

"Arghh!!" Hanabi screamed in pain, making me lose focus.

I didn't know what kind of support I should provide her. She was in imminent pain and all sweaty. I held her tight, caressed her hair sometimes. I would let her scratch all her nails on me, anything to make her feel better. However, nothing seemed to get better. She pushed hard and had to endure so much pain that I couldn't even imagine. I mean, when I inserted my thing into hers, she already felt pain. It was pleasurable, but still it was kind of painful and this baby wasn't small at all, it might have torn her on its way out. Would that? Shit! The thought of it made me feel guilty. Why did I have to feel guilty to have a baby? I looked at Hanabi, struggling to push out the baby, she was sweating and messed up, and looked like she almost passed out, yet she kept pushing. Will she regret it? No, she won't, she always seemed happy about it. Yet, the situation now made me question everything. No, Gusion. Focus. Rafaela said you had to support her.

"You're doing great, honey," I just realized that I was crying. "You're the strongest woman I know." At this point, the memories of my mother flashed in my head. I didn't have a lot of memories about her since I was still very young when she left, but watching Hanabi's struggling in her labor made me think of her.

Is this how I made her feel when she gave birth to me?

Is this why Aamon said that father always respected mom no matter how annoying she could be?

She had to endure so much pain, lingering between life and death. It was a torture to see Hanabi's pain. Mom must've gone through this kind of torture for me, yet she still love me, as far as I knew from Aamon, she loved me.

This experience led me to realize that I was very loved this whole time. Might not be by my other families, but my parents and Aamon, and that should be enough. I had seen everything and it was torturing me, torturing her. I couldn't even count how many hours had passed. I just wanted all of this to finish soon.

"Gusion..." her soothing voice calling my name, brought me back to reality. Hanabi was already very weak at this point, but she couldn't stop yet.

"You can do it, honey," I didn't know what else to say. I couldn't understand the pain, but it looked like a torture as it was before..

"It's coming, Hana. Let's push one more time. You can do it, mom," Rafaela cheered on her.

"Right? One more push. It's okay, I hold you. Let's do this together okay?" I caressed her hair.

She looked like about to give up, but she held up her head forcefully and did another push while I gently supported her back. "Arrggh!!!" her scream made me feel an extreme goosebumps that I lost in my thought contemplating everything. Oh my... Hanabi, I'm so sorry. Then, a cry woke me up from my lost thoughts.

"He's out! You did it, Hanabi!" Rafaela cut the placenta and cleaned him up quickly, then she handed the baby to Hanabi to do the skin to skin. Once she saw our son, she cried in happiness and embraced him in her arms. Love was the only aura she exerted from those seconds, as if she never experienced any pain before.

"Hallo, Gusion junior," she caressed the baby gently. I couldn't help myself from crying along with the baby in front of my eyes. It was magical.

"Thank you, darling. Thank you," I placed my forehead on hers while caressing her hair. "You're so beautiful, Hanabi," I kissed her forehead.

"Don't lie. I'm so messy," she smiled weakly.

"Nothing can hide your beauty from me," I touched her cheek and kissed her on the lips. Then I turned my attention to our baby son who just reached his lips on to her breast, getting his first breastfeed. I reached out to his cheek very carefully with the back of my hand, shaking as I was scared of hurting his delicate skin.

"Nothing to be nervous about, Gusion," Hanabi held my hand steady and touched my finger to his skin. "Look. He loves your touch." My baby blinks slightly at my touch. It was the best sensation I had ever felt so far, even far much better than winning a fierceful fight.

"I can't promise you the best life, but I will provide every guidance you need to live your best life. I promise, little one," he moved his hand after I finished my sentence as if he understood what I was saying. I brought my face closer to kiss him full of admiration for the miracle baby.

"You'll be a great father, Gusion," Hanabi whispered softly. Her smile was so fascinating.

"And you'll be a great mother," I smiled back at her and kissed her once more.