Chapter 21: I Didn't Mean It and You Didn't See It

(Saber's POV)

It's been a month since we won the fight against Dr. Wu. Our matters would be taken to the court in a few weeks. Both S.A.B.E.R and V.E.N.O.M would be there to justify their action. But there's nothing to worry about because Aamon had provided us lawyers and helped us collect proof and witnesses. Meanwhile, S.A.B.E.R's facility was temporarily closed and so was V.E.N.O.M's base.

There was just one thing that still bothers me and I had to solve it. I checked on my phone and called Layla. She picked up immediately.

"Hello, Cap, it's been a while," she sounded more excited than usual. It's understandable since we finally could relax and be more worry free.

"Hei, yeah, I was busy preparing for the court. However, can you do me a favor?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Um.. I need to talk to Hanabi in private, but I can't ask her. She habe been avoiding me. You often hang out with her, right?"

"Actually, we're going out tonight to our little picnic near the lake. I can arrange for you to meet her there. The Duke of Paxley will be there. How rare, don't you think? Rafaela is so lucky!"

"Hahaha, make sure you don't say this while Clint is around," I said jokingly.

"He's here..." she said sassily. "Oh and of course Gusion will be there too, so don't do anything silly. I'm warning you! I heard from Johnson you kissed her in front of him in the interrogation room!" she said curtly.

"It's fine. I only need to talk to her. I'll follow your plan," I was a bit annoyed with her judgment. Layla was very respectful and disciplined during our duty, but she's another person when she's out of duty.

"Good then, see you later."

"Sure, thanks," I ended the call.

***

I waited on a bench near the lake where Layla told me.

"I've suspected it," a voice heard behind me. I looked at her, wearing a scarlet dress with a black coat wrapped around her, looking astonishingly beautiful. Her belly was a bit showing, even though it wasn't that obvious. She walked down towards me, I stood up and let her sit first.

"Yet, you still come," I responded. "How are you?" I sat, facing her, but she stayed looking towards the lake, not even bothering to glance at me.

"Pretty good, and healthy. How about you?" she asked awkwardly.

"I'm good as well. Um... I just want to say I'm sorry, I..." my words cut.

"I've already forgiven you in the first place," she looked far at the lake in front of us.

"You do?" I was confused as I thought she was mad at me, because even though I had been working with Gusion and Aamon for the past few weeks and encountered her, she never seemed to want to interact with me. She nodded, "then why are you avoiding me?"

"Because the memory was so clear. I couldn't see you without remembering those moments," she said in a low voice.

"But you know it wasn't me, mentally," I held her hand. She looked at me with sorrow in her eyes.

"I was pregnant and I am gladly still pregnant. It was a tense moment for me to see my baby's father being stabbed in front of my eyes. And not just that.. your sword once hit me, and Mike..." she held back tears. I was her friend in the beginning, but I never expected to form bad memories in her head. I nervously helped her shed her tears, she didn't resist.

"I don't know what else to say, cause sorry will never be enough. What should I do to have us on good terms again?" At this point, I felt scared, so scared that she would not want to see me again. I was willing to cry and put up a tantrum like a little kid, so she wouldn't leave me.