Chapter Fourteen, Marathon

Zeke Hayes

Calm. Warm. Safe.

That's the best way to explain my last week. After I got out of the hospital, Peyton has been taking care of me. And not in an overwhelming way like I thought he would be. We haven't cuddled sense the hospital, and a part of me is disappointed.

I want to take it all slow, that's for sure. But a part of me is disappointed he hasn't made any moves, maybe that's crazy. Anyways, it's Friday night. It's been a little over a week since I've been out.

I'm going to have my first dinner with the pack. I've been eating food Sam brings me, which has been delicious but i need to stop hiding out. If I want to give this a real chance, I need to be all in.

"You sure?" Peyton asks, as I make my way past him and into the living area.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I waited long enough "I nod, and Peyton takes a step to me.

"It means a lot that you want too" he says softly, and a smile tugs at my lips. Before I can respond, Sam bursts through the door. A wide grin on her face as she bounces in place.

"Ready?" she asks.

"Someone's excited," Peyton says, and she nods.

"It feels more like he's a part of us. It's a good feeling" she nods again, and my heart clenches.

"Let's go" I make my way to the door, but Peyton grabs my arm gently.

"You need shoes on" his voice is soft, and it makes my stomach flutter. He drops down to his knee, and helps me put on my shoes. It's a little hard to bend down, so he's been helping me. And everytime, it makes me feel giddy.

"Thank you"

"Of course" he ties my other shoe, and Sam squeals.

"Awww so happy to see this" she has that wide grin on her lips. It is contagious that's for sure.

"Sorry about her" Peyton pushes off his knee, to his feet. "You're sure?" he asks again, and I nod.

"Yes I'm sure" I tell him, and I follow Sam out of the room. I've gotten used to the route from the side door, up to our room. That's about all I know, I've been sleeping. A lot.

I follow Sam down the stairs, and she turns going down a long wide hallway. "Alpha wants to meet you, he's hoping you're up for it this weekend" Sam says, and I nod. Peyton trails behind us as we make our way down the hallway.

Chatter fills the hall, and we turn right into a large cafeteria. There's at least 100 tables, and even more people. I think I underestimate the size of this gated neighborhood. To be fair, I haven't been very fair.

"There's a lot of us, some are deeper in the woods. Most live in the gated area. Some in between, 19-25 live in the pack house. If they have pups and a mate they likely live in a house in the neighborhood. If they're in school they most likely live with their parents" Sam tells me.

"There's a lot of people," I tell her, and she nods.

"Even more, not everyone eats here every night. Our pack is a big one. We grow day by day" She smiles, a proud grin on her face. "I'll be the Luna of this pack at the end of the year" she tells me, and my brows crease.

"What's that?"

"The Alpha's mate, the Luna of the pack. They hold the same level of respect and power in the pack. It's a great honor that's for sure" Sam says, and we make our way into the eating area. We head to the line where they are serving the food.