Chapter Six, Clumsy

Zeke Hayes

I came clean to Ava, about my dad. I lied, but i told most of the truth. It's a friday night, and i was invited to dinner with Cam and Ava. 

Ava should be here any minute, and now i have to sneak out because my dad's in a mood. I push open my door, and listen for any sound. I slip out after making sure I have my wallet and phone.

I walk down the stairs quietly, peaking my head out to see my dad. I hear him in the kitchen, so i slip my shoes on. Then I'm out the door as quietly as possible. Ava's sedan is in front of my house, with Cam in the passenger side.

I push a fake smile on my lips, because my nerves are getting to me. I walk to the sedan, climbing in the back.

"Hey" I say as I buckle up.

"Hey" they say in unison as Ava starts driving to the diner.

"All good?" Ava asks, and I know what she's implying.

"Yeah. Starving "I lie, and she smiles.

"Me too," Cam says dramatically, whining.

The drive to the diner is quick, music is playing and we have short convos here and there. Ava is pulling into a spot and then we walk in together. Ava growls, and my eyes follow where she's looking.

Nicole, Sam, Nolan and Peyton are sitting in a booth in the back. I step up besides Ava, and hook our arms together. "Don't let her ruin our night. '' I say softly, and she nods. We wait to be seated and my mind wanders to Peyton's fingers on my check.

I got instant goosebumps when he touched me, and I've never experienced that before. The waitress takes us to the opposite side of the dinner then them and Ava relaxes at that. We climb in the booth, i sit next to Cam this time and we order drinks.

"So what's your guys' weekend plans?" Cam asks, sipping his coke.

"I'm doing a group homework session tomorrow" I start, sipping my diet coke.

"Ooo i love those. I'm working at the cafe" Ava says smiling "You?"

"I'm also doing a homework session. With friends besides you losers" he sighs dramatically, leaning back in the booth. I laugh, nudging my shoulder with his.

"You're the real loser"

"Yeah!" Ava agrees, sticking out her tongue.

We have a chill dinner, and it's actually really fun hanging out with them. We've been getting closer and closer, and it's been nice. I like being around them. But the night ends quickly, and my throat tenses while I walk up the path to my house.

I slip inside, and slip my shoes off. Then I go up the stairs as quietly as possible. I push open my bedroom door and stop in my tracks.

My dad is on my bed, his head snaps up to mine. A look of disgust covers his features, and he stands up. "Where were you?" he snaps out.

"I want to have dinner with friends" I say, trying to keep my voice even.

"Did I say you could go?" he spits out.

"No, bu-" I get cut off by a full beer can being thrown at my head. It causes instant pain to flicker through my head, and my eyes squeeze shut as the liquid soaks me. By the time I open my eyes, my dad is shoving me into the wall.

"No, i didnt. I am so fucking sick of you, Zeke" he spits out, his nasty breath filling my nostrils. My head is getting fuzzy, as i try to dissociate myself with this moment. But I can't, and I don't have time to think, and I'm being shoved into the ground. Then a foot collides with my stomach, knocking all the air from my lungs.