Open Your Eyes

For three days, Evan never left Rosie's side. Weir had given him permission to stay with Rosie when she stopped by to see her after the surgery, and not even after Beckett had told him that he would radio Evan if something changed did Evan move from the stool that he was still sitting on.

For three days, Evan was there for every exam that was done on her, for every bandage change, for every attempt at waking her up. He was there when, by the end of the first day, Rosie's heart stopped beating and watched as Beckett and the nurses fought to bring her back. Evan had never been so scared in his entire life as he was in that moment.

That's where he is now, sitting on the same stool, holding her hand while talking to Beckett about the latest round of exams he had done on Rosie. But something pulls his attention away from the conversation. He can hear Beckett ask what is it, but he's not sure. For a moment he thought he had felt Rosie's hand move under his but now there's no movement.

He tells the doctor that it's nothing and they resume their conversation, when he feels it again, this time more pronounced. Evan tells Beckett and the man quickly rounds the bed and nears Rosie, coaxing her to open her eyes.

Evan is trying very hard not to be excited at the prospect that Rosie might be waking up.

-"Can you open your eyes for me, love?" - Beckett tries again.

-"Too bright." - Her voice comes out hoarse.

-"Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do about that, love. But I need to see your eyes. Can you do that for me?"

-"You look tired, Beckett." - She opens her eyes so the man can see them and Evan can't help but chuckle at her words, looking up to Beckett and seeing him smiling.

-"There she is. Welcome back, love. I'm just going to inform Dr. Weir and Colonel Sheppard that you have awaken and I'll be right back, alright?"

Beckett sees Rosalie smiling back at him and pats Lorne in the shoulder as he walks past him. The man hasn't left in three days and Beckett is sure this is what he has been waiting for. He can't blame the man for it, Rosalie is important to him and that much is very clear to everyone that knows them.

As soon as Beckett left, Rosie's eyes quickly found Evan's and she smiled at him, making him smile back, relief now flooding every inch of his body.

-"Hey." - She says softly.

-"Hey yourself. How're you feeling?"

-"I've been better. I've also been worse, so..." - She shrugs.

-"Please don't ever scare me like this again."

-"I'll try."

-"I'll take it." - Evan knows that's the best he's going to get.

-"How are Ramirez and Campbell?"

-"They're okay. Ramirez will have to stay a few more days but Campbell was already discharged."

-"That's good."

-"Rosie, why didn't you tell anyone that you were shot?"

-"I forgot."

-"You forgot? How do you forget that you got shot?"

-"Adrenaline kicked in and I was so focused on getting Ramirez and Campbell out, that I forgot. I didn't mean to, it just happened."

-"You can't forget something like this, Rosie." - He shakes his head. -"If you get shot, you need to tell someone right away. Besides, if you're hurt, you can't help anyone."

-"I know. I'm sorry. It won't happen again." - She nods.

-"In Atlantis, we take care of each other, no matter what." - He pushes a strand of hair away from her face. -"Try and get some rest. I'm sure Weir and Sheppard are going to want to talk to you about what happened at some point."

Evan kisses her forehead and feels her nod, before closing her eyes, her hand firmly secured under his. As he sits back on the stool, he knows that she is in for an earful when Weir and Sheppard drop by to talk to her. Although, right now, he is thankful that she is okay. The rest they will figure out when it happens.