The 'Price' We Pay {Captain Price}

"I love you." John says as he leans his forehead against yours, sighing softly.

"I love you too." You giggle as he leans down and kisses your pregnant belly.

"And this baby boy, I love him too." You can't help but laugh again. You shoo him away and he flashes you a fake heartbroken look.

"What makes you so sure it's going to be a boy?" You ask with your arms crossed sassily, just teasing him. He presses a finger to his lip as he walks up to you before swooping you up and spinning you once, making you giggle some more.

"Intuition?" Another laugh.

"Is that an answer or a question?" He chuckles behind you, making you smile.

"Both." He answers confidently, kissing you on the cheek. You turn in his arms to face him.

"I wish you didn't have to go." The words escape you before you can stop them. "I'm sorry, John. That wasn't fair of me to say right before you leave. I'm just gonna miss you a bit more this time around..." His blue eyes soften and you watch the internal wrestling match going on inside his head.

"No, no, love, it's okay." He kisses you on the forehead. "It's a tough time for you right now and I hate that I have to leave you at this point your pregnancy." His blue eyes search your face for something before coming back to your gaze. Tears have already started quietly rolling down your cheeks. He places his hands on your cheeks and wipes your tears away with his thumbs. "Oh, my love, please don't cry. You're making it harder for me to leave."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." You keep repeating yourself softly as you cry harder, wiping your eyes repeatedly. John hugs you tightly and you cling to him, burying your face into his chest. John kisses your head and strokes your hair, trying to soothe you and make you feel better.

"Come on, let's lay down for the night. I want to good you in my arms." You nod your head and allow him to walk you towards the bedroom without letting go of him. John laughs softly at your actions, slowly and carefully guiding you to the bedroom before you let go of him to get changed into your pajamas. John helps you into bed even though you don't need it before he cranes in next to you. He lays on his back and moves his arm before looking at you.

"Come here baby girl." He says, motioning for you to come cuddle with him. You instantly move into a he crook of his shoulder and snuggle into a comfortable position before closing your eyes. "I love you, (Y/N). More than anything in this world." John says he places a kiss on your head again. "I promise you, I'll be back home as soon as I can. Like always."

"I know you will." You prop yourself up and place a kiss on his lips. His hand slides behind your head to keep you from pulling away. A small whimper escapes you. He flashes you a cocky grin that makes you smile but roll your eyes. He doesn't say anything except pull you back in for another kiss. He spends the night making lots of gentle love to you despite knowing he was going to be exhausted by the time he was meant to leave the next morning.

• • • • •

"Captain, how do you walk away from that every time?" Gaz asks Price casually, staring back at his captain's girlfriend. Price stops and looks back to watch you leave, thankful that you don't look back.

"It's the price we pay." Is all he says with a stern face before turning on his heel and marching away from you towards an unknown future line always. All he can do is how that he'll come back to you again just like before.