Chapter 20

"Is everyone in position?" Lloyd spoke into his communication device.

"Yeah," Kai answered.

"Affirmative," Zane cut in.

"Roger that," came Jay's voice.

"I feel stupid," Nya grumbled.

"Aww, don't say that," Jay said. "You look amazing."

"Shut up," Nya growled back.

"Give the guy a break, Nya," Kai laughed. "He's trying to be nice."

"Whatever." Nya tried not to scowl as she pushed her way through the crowd of guests. It was the night of the banquet, and she and Jay were all dressed up and slipping disguised around the party hall. Kai and Zane were watching from above, while Cole and Lloyd were in their positions by the Fire Crystal. "Who agreed to have my makeup based on Princess Skylor's?" she went on. "That girl wears so much more makeup than any of the queens here! Ugh, I feel so cakey."

"Quit complaining and focus on the mission," Lloyd snapped. "You're supposed to be on the lookout, remember?"

"Jeez, someone needs to relax," Jay grunted.

Lloyd huffed from where he was sitting on a ceiling joist. Was he the only one taking this seriously? Folding his arms across his chest, he glanced sideways to where Cole was seated on the joist across from him. The black ninja was counting his arrows, keeping one eye on the tunnel entrance on the ground. At least he looked focused.

But something else was occupying Cole's mind. A few nights ago, at the feast when the kingdoms arrived, he had found Miss Beech in the crowd. The maid had been talking to some blonde girl who, judging by her blue dress, must've been from Trynia. He hadn't seen the girl's face, but by the glitter in Miss Beech's eyes he could tell it had been a serious conversation.

It confused Cole. What did the old maid from Shillvaron have to do with Trynia? Of course, Cole knew, she had a thing for butting into people's private lives, but still. There was something... suspicious about Miss Beech. He just couldn't place what.

With a grunt, Cole slung his sheath of arrows back over his shoulder. He gazed at Lloyd to find the green ninja staring down at his wrist device, which was connected to Zane so they could see through his eyes and read the same information he received from scanning the party guests. Maybe I should be watching that, too... Cole thought, turning on his own device.

He watched as it glimpsed around, showing Nya at the edge of the screen. She was wearing a deep red dress that was tight at the top and way too puffy at the bottom for her liking. She gasped as she nearly tripped over the long skirt. "I hate dresses," she grumbled, half to herself.

She jumped as she bumped into someone. "Oh! Sorry," she quickly apologized.

"That's alright," the woman laughed. "These things aren't exactly easy to walk in."

"Tell me about it!" Nya sighed, glad somebody understood her.

They continued to talk, and as Zane's eyes swept over them, Cole felt a jolt of alarm. "That girl," he whispered.

Lloyd glanced at him. "What about her?" he questioned.

She's the same girl that was talking to Miss Beech, Cole realized. Returning Lloyd's gaze, the black ninja rose to his feet. "I have to talk to her," he said suddenly. He had to know what she had been discussing with the palace maid.

"You what?" Lloyd exclaimed in outrage. "You're not going anywhere!"

"I'll be back," Cole told him.