Chapter 18

"Hey," Lloyd called, stopping Chester on their way to the dining hall.

The prince skittered to a halt in front of him, fear leaping into his eyes. "Um... hey?" he answered nervously.

Lloyd crossed his arms as he stared the prince down. "I don't know what you thought you heard me say to Kai, but I want you to forget it. Got that?"

Chester scoffed. "And why would I do that?"

"Because I said so," Lloyd snarled, taking a step closer.

The prince fumbled backward. "Whoa, you can't do anything to me!" he gasped, holding his hands out.

Lloyd still came closer, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, I can't?" he hissed. "And why's that?"

Chester's back hit the wall. "I-I know things," he offered.

Lloyd halted again, tilting his head curiously. "What do you mean?" he inquired.

"W-well, you don't want your friends to find out about your little marking problem, right?" Chester pushed. "You hurt me, I'll tell them!" He raised his eyebrow, mimicking the green ninja's expression. "Got that?"

Lloyd stared at him a moment, studying him. Then a smirk crossed his face and he took a step back. "You're good," he chuckled, turning around. "Not as good as me but, you're good," he added as he headed down the hall.

Chester flashed his dimpled grin. "Thanks!"

Lloyd sat next to Kai at the royal table. The others were already settled when Chester joined them. Kai gazed across the table at the prince before turning to Lloyd.

"You threatened him, didn't you?" he murmured.

Lloyd raised his shoulders, keeping his gaze on his meal. "Mmm... Maybe," he cooed.

Kai heaved a sigh. "I thought we talked about this, Lloyd," he scolded. "You can't just go around threatening people."

"Why not?" Lloyd argued. "It works, doesn't it?"

"I'm serious, Lloyd."

"Whatever," the green ninja grumbled, stabbing his fork into his food. "It's not like it worked on him, anyway." He looked up and glanced at the prince. "He's... strange."

Kai followed his gaze, growing antsy. "You know he's gonna tell everyone," he whispered. "Maybe you should tell the team before he can."

Lloyd shook his head, still staring at Chester. "No, he won't tell," he observed. "Not yet. Although he's not the brightest, I can tell he wouldn't stir up unnecessary trouble. He'll wait until the information's useful."

"Useful?" Kai glanced back at the green ninja. He was puzzled, but he knew Lloyd was experienced in this kind of thing. "When would it be useful?"

"I don't know," Lloyd admitted, turning back to his meal. As he continued eating, a wave of anxiety and nervousness hit him. His stomach started to nag at him and he stiffened.

Kai stiffened at the same time. He had felt it, too.

The two simultaneously turned their heads sideways toward Cole, who was sitting near them. The black ninja was holding back from his food, tapping his fork against his plate. He wasn't biting at his necklace, but by the way he was fidgeting with the string they could tell he wanted to.

After a few minutes of staring, Cole seemed to notice them. His head snapped toward them and he froze. "What?"

"We could feel your anxiety from a hundred miles away," Lloyd reminded him. "What's going on?"