Chapter 8

A cat's yowl turned Lloyd's head.

"Oh, come on!" Jay complained from the other side of the room.

Nya giggled. "Looks like we have a stowaway."

Lloyd walked over to the two sitting on Laurie's bed. "What?"

The blue ninja moved out of the way as a small, fluffy white head popped out of the covers. "Kitty!" Laurie squealed, grabbing the kitten.

Lloyd stared at the pair. "How did the cat get here? I thought we left her back at the monastery."

"She snuck into Laurie's bag," Jay explained. He glared at the girl. "Or so she says."

Laurie looked up at her father innocently, hugging the kitten against her chest. "It wasn't me!" she protested. "Kitty followed us!"

Sighing, Lloyd sat beside her, placing one hand on her head. "I believe you," he murmured.

"Of course you do," Jay grumbled to himself.

"But since she's here, you'll have to keep an eye on her, okay?" Lloyd continued to his daughter.

He scratched the kitten's chin and it purred, rubbing against his hand. Rolling his eyes, Jay walked over to Nya on the other side of the room. "Great," he muttered sarcastically. "The two troublemakers are back together."

"Oh, come on, Jay," Nya laughed. "How much trouble can a child and a cat make?"

"May I remind you about that time Laurie sent the cat to shred half my hair off?" Jay shot back with a scowl.

Nya looked away, struggling to hide her amusement as she remembered the bald spot Kitty had left on the blue ninja. Jay's face twisted with a mix of anger and embarrassment at her stifled laughter and he crossed his arms, turning back toward Lloyd and Laurie.

The green ninja rose to his feet. "We should get a good scope of the palace," he told the two ninja. "We need to know our way around if we're going to properly defend the royals."

"Clouse said he'd show us around after dinner," Nya replied.

"We should probably start over there." Lloyd helped Laurie off her bed. "We don't want to be late."

Laurie hopped at her father's feet. "Piggy-back ride!" she exclaimed. "Piggy-back ride!"

Lloyd heaved a sigh. "Fine," he grunted, crouching to let her on. With a squeal of excitement, the girl climbed onto his back, wrapping her arms around his neck. As Lloyd rose upward again, Kitty leaped onto Laurie, curling on her head. Laurie giggled, but Lloyd wasn't amused. "Not happening. The cat stays here." He reached and grabbed the kitten by the scruff, placing her back on the bed. Kitty hissed in protest, but, with a lash of her tail, she settled in the blankets.

"Come on," Lloyd puffed, heading out of the room.

Jay took Nya's hand as they followed the father and daughter. His heart started to pound as he saw her smile. He had to ask her soon. But he was so nervous. What if I mess it up? he fretted. What if I pick the wrong time? Or what if... what if she says no?

Jay felt his stomach hollow with dread.

He hadn't thought about that before.

* * *

The royal table was long with multiple chairs down each side and one on each of the shorter ends. Draped over with a smooth white tablecloth, the table sat directly underneath a large, glittering chandelier that Lloyd felt was going to fall on his head as he followed the other ninja to the area.