Chapter 6

The lush green underneath the Bounty slowly shifted into sandy deserts as the ship soared through the clouds. The ninja were nearing Shillvaron.

Lloyd drew in a deep breath as he gazed into the distance, gripping the Bounty's railing. For some reason, he felt uneasy. Anxious. Maybe it was the thought of taking on a mission after so long. He hadn't worked side by side with the other ninja on a mission such as this in nearly eight years. Only it feels longer, he thought, swallowing.

But he knew he was ready. Sitting around the monastery questioning if the ninja accepted him yet every day had been killing him. Now that he was journeying with them with a task to complete he was assured he was part of the good guys again. At least, he thought he was.

Lloyd broke out of his thoughts as Laurie climbed up on the railing beside him. "Careful," he murmured, steadying her back on her feet.

She stood on tiptoe to glance over the railing before turning to look up at the green ninja. "I want to meet a princess!" she squeaked with excitement.

Lloyd put an arm around her. "You'll get to meet her," he told her. "But you have to behave. We're only guests at the palace. Usually, only the highly respected are allowed inside."

Maybe that was why he felt so nervous. Maybe he didn't think he was "highly respected" enough to be in the palace.

He turned to watch as Laurie darted off again, skidding to a halt behind Jay on the other side of the deck. A moment passed before she turned and disappeared into the lower deck, something too far away for Lloyd to make out in her hands.

"Hey!" Jay shouted, racing after her. "Give that back!"

Shaking his head, Lloyd turned back to the distance. Sometimes Laurie's pickpocketing and other mischief unnerved him. She was still young; she was a natural at it. Lloyd knew where it came from. It must be in her blood, with her parents being two Baddies. Sometimes Lloyd wondered where her troubling skills would lead to...

Lloyd shook the thought away. There was no way his daughter would have any strange ideas as he had once had. Not on his watch.

A soft wind blew at the green ninja's face and he gripped the railing tighter as he felt a tinge of pain in his wrist. He hadn't taken off his gloves ever since he put them on, and he didn't plan on doing so any time soon. In front of the others, at least. He didn't know what the ninja would think if they found out his marking was acting up again. If anything they'd think he somehow turned "Baddie" again and their trust in him would be broken. And I can't let that happen, he thought. The ninja knew they could trust him. Nothing would change that.

"Lloyd!"

Lloyd jumped in alarm and whipped around, only relaxing after realizing it was Nya who had called him. She walked up beside him as he turned back around.

"We'll be there any minute now," she reported.

Lloyd nodded. "Good," he stated. "Are the others ready?"

"I believe so," Nya replied.

Lloyd straightened. "We have to be presentable," he grunted. "The king was just killed. This must be hard for the princess."

"Of course," Nya murmured, resting a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry so much."

"I'm not worrying," Lloyd snapped back, shrugging her hand off. "I just need to make sure my team knows what they're doing."

Nya bit her lip at the word "my." Her gaze traveled downward and locked on Lloyd's hands that had gripped the railing again without the green ninja realizing. "Are you okay?" she asked a bit hesitantly.