Chapter 15

"Hey, are you okay?" Kai asked Lloyd on their way to dinner. The green ninja hadn't spoken a word to anyone since Cole's remarks that morning.

Lloyd's expression was emotionless and he only nodded.

"No, you're not," Kai huffed. "When are you gonna stop pretending you're not hurt when you are?"

Lloyd's face hardened. "I'm not hurt," he spat back. "Cole only said what I already know. What's true."

Kai frowned. "He still shouldn't have brought it up," he said. "Not in that way."

"It's fine," Lloyd mumbled.

Unease swarmed inside of Kai. He knew that, deep down, Lloyd was hurt. But what made the red ninja uncomfortable was that Lloyd believed he shouldn't be hurt. He soaked in every word Cole said, accepted it, believed it was true. He never snapped back at the black ninja, never stood up for himself—only accepted Cole's comments in silence. Only a few words from the black ninja could shut Lloyd down for the rest of the day. It had happened multiple times before.

Kai hated that Cole had so much control over Lloyd's mental state. The problem was, he didn't know if the black ninja was even aware of it. Their small conflicts such as what happened that day usually blew over the next day, but Kai really didn't think the routine was healthy for either of them.

"We... heard what he said to you in the hallway," the red ninja admitted after a while of silence.

Lloyd crossed his arms and didn't respond, keeping his gaze forward.

Kai studied him, eyes rounding as he came to a conclusion. "He's... said that to you before?" he guessed.

Lloyd again stayed silent, answering the red ninja's question.

Kai blew out a long breath, turning forward as well. "He doesn't mean it," he stammered. "He just... goes too far sometimes."

Lloyd gave a snort of amusement. "Oh, I think he means it," he chortled.

"Lloyd—"

"Don't you think Cole has a right to hate me?" the green ninja interrupted. "If I was in his shoes, I'd hate me, too."

"But that was years ago!" Kai protested. "You guys are teammates. Lloyd, you shouldn't be okay with this!"

Lloyd shrugged. "I'm used to it."

Kai tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

Lloyd turned to gaze at the red ninja. "What, you think going four years as a Baddie I was liked by everybody? You think in being the 'terror of the town' I wasn't making enemies?" He scoffed. "They all hated me."

Kai rested a hand on his shoulder. "But... you care this time," he murmured. "You care that Cole hates you."

Lloyd looked away.

"Do you hate him, too?"

Lloyd swallowed hard. "Of course not," he croaked out.

Kai winced. It was natural to hate the person who hated you back. Maybe Lloyd's just being the bigger person, he thought. But for some reason, he felt worried. There was just something wrong with the situation... although he couldn't place what. After what happened to all of them during Lloyd's rebellion, he knew how far desperate emotions could take someone.

"I just want him to accept me again, you know?" Lloyd added.

"How far... are you willing to go for that?" Kai forced himself to ask.

Lloyd blinked slowly. "Whatever it takes."

This, of course, worried Kai more. Cole wasn't the sanest person he knew: he didn't know what the black ninja would suggest Lloyd do. Before he could voice his concern, they reached the dining hall.