Chapter 10

The sound of someone muttering woke Cole. Blinking open his eyes, he squinted against the light and made out a few words from the voice.

"These kids..." The woman's voice was raspy as she grumbled to herself. "Always cleaning up after them... They sleep so late..."

Cole heard a few curses thrown here and there and he crinkled his forehead in confusion. "H-hello?" he croaked, shifting upward and rubbing his eyes.

He looked around to find an elderly lady bustling around the room, a feather duster in her hand. She wore a black dress with an apron on top and a white laced headband in front of her dark-haired bun threaded with gray.

Cole turned his head back and forth as he watched her move around the room, perplexed. Beside him on the bed, Rainy was doing the same, her ears pricked up.

"Who... Who are you?" Cole finally broke the silence.

"They call me Beech," the woman replied without halting. "I'm just one of the palace maids."

"Okay... Beech, I—"

"That's Miss Beech to you," she snapped, whipping around to face the black ninja. "You kids should learn some respect around here!"

Furrowing his eyebrows, Cole crossed his arms, already knowing he didn't like the maid.

Muttering to herself, Miss Beech began dusting his night table. "Especially after sleeping in so late," she grunted. "Might as well just wake up tomorrow."

"For your information, I was up all night guarding your precious Crystal," Cole shot back, throwing off his covers and moving to the edge of the huge bed. "A simple thank you would suffice," he added in a mutter.

He and the other ninja had been on duty patrolling the palace last night. Luckily, there had been no break-ins.

Miss Beech scoffed. "You should be the one thanking me," she spat as Cole moved over to the bag he had brought to the palace. He opened it, looking for his clothes, but he blinked to find it empty.

"No, no, child," Miss Beech scolded, pointing to a dresser on one side of the room. "Clothes should be put away right."

Cole stared at her a moment before walking over to the dresser and opening the doors to find his clothes hanging inside. Bewildered, he glanced over his shoulder at the maid, finding her eyes twinkling. Scoffing, he pulled out one of his suits and went into the bathroom attached to his bedroom to change.

When he entered his bedroom again he found his bed perfectly made. Blinking, he glanced at Miss Beech, who was emptying a dustpan into the trashcan. "Didn't your mother ever teach you to make your bed in the morning?" she scowled at him.

Cole's eyes widened in disbelief. "You didn't even give me a chance to!" he protested, frustration boiling inside of him.

The old woman began muttering a few words under her breath again, many of which were curses, as she headed toward the door. "Your dog is hungry," she told the black ninja.

Then she left the room without another word.

Cole turned to Rainy, who was sitting on the floor, wagging her tail. His eyebrows raised as he noticed the sleek shine in her golden pelt, as if she had just been bathed. "What the heck—" He turned to where he had last seen the maid. "How did she—when did she—"

Huffing, he shook his head and crouched in front of Rainy, petting the lab's head. "That mean, old lady didn't hurt you, did she?" he asked his dog.

Rainy barked happily, lapping at the ninja's hand.