Chapter 9

The six ninja followed Clouse around the palace after dinner. He showed them many rooms, like the library and weaponry, and they were now approaching the Fire Crystal.

A large glass case stood in front of them, where, inside, the flaming red crystal was placed. Clouse turned to face the team, gesturing toward the case with his hand. "The Fire Crystal," he announced. "The Elemental Crystal you'll be defending."

Jay walked forward, peering inside the glass at the shard. "What's so special about this gem, anyway?" he asked.

"The Fire Crystal, as you've probably guessed, is connected to the elemental essence of fire," Clouse explained in his monotone voice. "It is said to give the power of fire to anyone who possesses it, even if they're not an elemental master. So you can guess why it would be dangerous in the wrong hands." He turned and began walking down the hall again. "It's also resistant to fire, not surprisingly," he added.

Kai went closer to the case as the others followed the advisor. He stared at the crystal, watching the flames flicker inside it. Leaning forward, he placed a hand on the top of the case, and immediately a spark shot through him. Alarmed, he jolted backward, eyes rounding. What the...

He rubbed his hand, feeling a tingling in his arm. There was a strange heat burning inside of him and he began walking backward, away from the crystal. The fire in his veins died away again when he was a few feet away from it.

Kai's heart started to pound as he remembered how close Jay had gotten to the crystal. He hadn't reacted to anything like this. Kai looked down at his hands. Maybe the Fire Crystal was somehow connected to him after all.

"Oh, right...! You're the fire elemental!"

Kai jumped at the sudden voice and turned around to see Chester behind him. Irritation nagged at the red ninja's chest as he caught the huge grin on the prince's face. He barely knew him, but he already knew he didn't like this prince of Trynia. He was annoying—really annoying. He had to be in his mid-twenties, and he still acted like an overenthusiastic child.

"Can the Crystal like, talk to you?" Chester asked for some reason.

Kai raised an eyebrow. I don't believe this... "Um—no," he grunted.

Chester tipped his head. "Well, it's gotta do something," he pushed. "I saw you react to something."

Kai rubbed his wrist again, feeling the last of the tingles fade. "I don't really know what happened," he admitted. "It was like... it sparked the fire inside of me."

Chester swept past him to gaze at the glass case. "I guess we still don't know all the secrets this Elemental Crystal hides," he murmured softly.

Kai followed his gaze, slightly confused. This Elemental Crystal was what he had said. "This" as if not a different one. Clouse had said, "the Elemental Crystal you'll be defending." As if there were others they weren't defending.

Suddenly, Skylor's words rang in his head.

As long as we have an Elemental Crystal, I fear everyone in the kingdom's lives are in jeopardy.

An Elemental Crystal. Not the Elemental Crystal.

Kai glanced sideways at Chester. "Are there... more Elemental Crystals?" he wondered, knowing it was a dumb question.

"Psh, yeah!" the prince laughed, returning his gaze. "There's one for the six main elements somewhere. Energy, lightning, water, ice, and earth."

Kai's curiosity was piqued. "Where are they?"

Chester shrugged. "I don't know," he mumbled.

Kai heaved a sigh. Of course he didn't know. That information probably wouldn't fit in the childish prince's brain.