Chapter 4

Wu rubbed his beard as he stared at the computer screen in the meeting room, hearing someone walk up beside him.

"What's up?" Garmadon asked, following his brother's gaze.

"We've been receiving strange calls about out-of-the-ordinary sightings," Wu murmured.

"What kind of sightings?"

Wu shook his head. "The photos are never clear," he answered, "but it seems to be crime-related, as every flash is shown after a break-in or robbery somewhere."

Garmadon peered at the photo on the screen, observing the blurry purplish-gray smear disappearing into an alleyway. "Do you think it's a threat?"

"Not sure," Wu replied. "But you can never be too careful."

Garmadon nodded. "We should inform the team," he said, glancing sideways at his brother. "Have you seen Lloyd?"

"Lloyd and Jay took Laurie to the park," Wu told him. "They should be back later this afternoon."

Garmadon opened his mouth when the computer screen suddenly flashed a blinking red.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

The senseis turned back to the screen. "It's a distress call," Wu realized, clicking at the keyboard.

Garmadon took a step toward the door. "I'll go round up the others," he said before rushing out of the room.

* * *

Loud chattering and happy, child screams filled the air of the crowded playground. Jay twiddled his fingers and began digging through the bag of snacks Lloyd had brought, searching for something to quench his hunger. Beside him on the bench, the green ninja sat leaning his arms on his legs, staring intently forward.

"Aha!" Jay pulled out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was probably meant for Laurie, but he decided to eat it anyway. Ripping off a bite, he turned to Lloyd as he chewed. The green ninja's eyes were flicking around the playground, desperately trying to watch everything at once. Jay raised an eyebrow as he observed Lloyd's tapping heel. "Well, somebody looks tense," he commented.

"There's too many people," Lloyd murmured, finally spotting his daughter running around the area. "And the equipment's too big."

Jay suddenly let out a gasp, and the green ninja's head swiveled around toward him. "What?" he demanded.

But when the blue ninja turned to him, his eyes were shining with childlike excitement. "Look!" He pointed across the sand. "It's one of those horse springy things you can ride on! I have to try it!"

Lloyd stared at him as he jumped to his feet. "Jay, you're too old for that thing," he huffed, rising to his feet as well.

"Oh, come on!" the blue ninja complained. "Just one little ride?"

Lloyd's eyes glittered with intensity. "Jay, focus," he told him, turning back to the playground.

Jay sighed, following his gaze. "Not everything is a battlefield, Lloyd. Laurie's fine," he said, gesturing toward the girl slipping down a slide. "You need to relax."

"You can never be too sure," the green ninja breathed, training his eyes on his daughter. He watched as she bounded across the sand, passing the swings. His eyes widened in alarm as the boy on one of the swings shot downward just as Laurie reached him. Suddenly, the incoming swing was no longer a swing, the playground was no longer a playground. Panic welled inside of Lloyd as the air grew thick with fog, the sand underneath him shifted into a muddy street. Laurie's red hair flashed through the gloom, and he spotted the thing rushing toward her: a large barrel flying from an open window. He jerked in alarm and started forward, but then he realized it wasn't a barrel. It was a person—an attacker—lunging at the girl from the alley, ready to hurt her—to kill her.