Chapter Six: Origin

Thinking about how Sam was trapped I remember the story he told me. My mind fades into a memory. A vision of me at age twelve comes before my eyes.

Earlier in the day I studied my languages. So far I'm fluent in English, demonic, Enochian, and Latin. I'm mostly versed in demonic with English being a close second. There's nothing else to do in hell so I just read books and studied. I learned all I could from the spell books in the library as well and Thorne gave me instructions. He is better at certain types of magic than I am. He's good at the negative kinds I'm better at the defensive kind. 

While I do have the kit where I could kill or harm easily I just don't care for that type of magic. I can use hex where I can use a person's mind. Although I can use it for the betterment if it's about them being controlled. In defensive magic, Thorne looked like a novice compared to me. For my age that is unusual.

Some demons or in my case were born with abilities. Thorne noticed that I could extend my tongue out to long distances. He thought it was odd because that was his ability. Not much of an ability if you ask me. It's useless. Thorne had a hunch that my special ability was taking the ability of others. 

There was a demon named Jazik that caused euphoria in others. While that doesn't sound dangerous it is. It can put someone into a false sense of security then you strike. I'm horrified by how it sounded. I stole his ability from him and used it on both of them until they both looked like they were loopy.

Then I learned how to stop Throne in the middle of a spell so it stopped him when he cast it. So now I have a habit of whenever he tries to teach me anything I stop him when he casts it. He got pissed but I found it hilarious.

After I practiced magic in the practice area I went back to my house and felt the zing all over my body after I expended my magic. I realized how tired I was from all the work I'd done that day. I did it because I wanted to be better for Sam. If I'm strong I could have helped free him like he said I would. Wildflower would be the one who rescued him. I smiled to myself.

It's late in the day and all the other demons have left the courtyard. As always whenever I got into my house I immediately looked towards the rock. It was lit. I did a 360-degree turn and then bolted out into the cavern.

In no time I got to him. I land in a run. "I think this was your fastest time yet." He says while he shook his head at me.

"Hi, Sam," I say excitedly.

"It's good to see you wildflower." When he said my nickname I got a silly grin.

"I studied and trained with my magic a lot. I took this other demon's ability today. Can I use it on you?"

He looked at me wary. "Oh come on," I said as I asked him since it could be more fun if he played along. I wished he caved in but he hadn't yet. "Please." I let the e-trail off. I completed the plead as I steepled my hands. I walk close to him and put my arms on the ice block opposite side of him. I gave him a pout and innocently blinked my eyes.

He narrowed his eyes and gave me the once-over. My pout got deeper my eyes widened. "Fine." He grumbled about it but then relented.

"Yes." I elongated the s. Then I cheered and danced. I stuck my fingers up in the air and then turned in a circle.

He looked at me like I was ridiculous.

I looked into his eyes and smiled. Then I used the ability on him. I don't use it as I did on Thorne and Jazik. I wanted him made happy enough that he could forget about his pain and just smile. I kept the euphoria leveled at the certain power I wanted the locked the spell into place. Then I watched over his face. It happened slowly but his eyes sparked to life. Relieved as he was his skin color changed as if in better health. Then it happened his face full-on glowed with a smile that radiated on his lips.

"You're smiling," I said as I grinned at him.

"Thank you wildflower. Turn it off now."

"But if it's helped I can keep it up..." I said because I wanted to help him.

"No." He said sternly.

I turned it off and as I did I watched him wince and slump down.

"Why can't I just help you."

"Because I said so."

I hanged my head a little. It helped but then he wouldn't let me. He was happy. Why would someone not want to be happy? Especially in his position?

I can't quite identify with him. I looked at my feet.

"Let me tell you my story." He said solemnly.

I looked down.

"I'm innocent. I don't belong chained up. I don't belong here in hell. I'm here because my father and brothers are terrified of me. They are jealous of my power." I raised my head to look at him more interested in what he had to say than how I felt bad.

"My father is the cause of everything that's happened. He sent me here. After being sent here I created demons. Scared of my creations my brothers waged war on them and me. They killed so many of my demons. Yet I was the monster while I defended my demons instead of the angels."

"My brothers waged war and lost. They eventually got the drop on me years later and they locked me up here." He looked around the room with disdain. "The current seven with the help of my brothers trapped me." They used cheap tactics to get me captured. They stole from me. Not only did they take my sword Raidian they took my soul." His face has turned bitter. "I've been locked up here like this for one thousand years." He closed his eyes and I watched him take a slight breath. "All hope was abandoned. Until I met you."

I watched as his gaze was directed at something in the distance and then his eyes found my face.

"This is why I can't feel happy, wildflower. Being angered is what kept me strong and it shall henceforth." I thought about what he said.

"I understand Sam." At least I wanted to. I looked into his eyes. "At least I got you to smile once."

As I come to from my memory I notice that everything has gotten quiet.