⤷ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕: 𝐔𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧

word count: 2,489

word count: 2,489

published: 11/12/23

·············𑁍‎·············

"(Y/N), Shirayuki," Izana called out, making the pair's gaze fall back on him. "I'm off to explain the situation to Lilias's warden. And you two shall accompany me," he claimed before turning toward Yuzuri and Suzu. "You two, get back to work in the Hall of Medicine."

"And you, gate guards," he added, swiftly turning toward said guards, making them both jump; startled.

"Yes?"

"Uh-huh?"

"Keep the gate to the City of Academics shut tight," he ordered. "Admit only those deemed necessary."

"Yes, sir!"

Silently, (Y/N) and Shirayuki began making their way up the steps toward the awaiting Izana - following behind him as he began making his way toward an unknown location.

-

'It's so cold...' (Y/N) thought, their teeth clattering slightly as a small smile made its way onto their lips; pulling their scarf further up to practically cover their nose before the three seemingly came to a stop.

To their surprise, a guard came out from a nearby stable, holding two reins that belonged to the two horses clopping their way toward the trio.

Seemingly unaware of her expression, Shirayuki's cheeks flushed in embarrassment upon hearing Izana say, "What's the matter? Don't you ride?"

"Well, about that..." the redhead said sheepishly, rubbing her hands together in search of warmth. "I've ridden on horseback plenty of times, but never alone."

"Oh. You have the look of a capable rider," the blond prince let out in realization before averting his gaze toward (Y/N) expectantly.

"I know how to ride a horse," they reassured bluntly, nodding their head as they waved him off.

Nodding in understanding, Izana turned back toward Shirayuki and said, "Anyhow, you'll join me in my saddle for now."

Eyes widening in shock, the redhead's lips parted. "...Huh? W-With you...? On your horse, Prince Izana...?"

"Do you object?" Izana questioned, raising a brow in amusement as the two watched Shirayuki's eyes widen in further embarrassment, stuttering out a response whilst furiously shaking her head.

"No, not at all...! It's not that! It's just... Y-You're a prince... a-and I've only ever ridden with Mitsuhide, Obi, and the others..."

The prince hummed, turning to look out toward the nearby bridge; pointing toward it, and saying, "We'll make for the tower over this bridge."