Cursed (Yandere Day of the Dead x Child Reader)

((Y/N)'s POV) age: 6

Today is the Day of the Dead and my family is coming over for a reunion like we do every year for tradition. We got up super early to get the ofrenda set up and by the time the rest of the family got here and put their photos up with ours in the garage they were all in the house. My mom and uncle were in control of the kitchen every year, no matter whose house it was because they make the best food by following old recipes but changing them up a bit for new flavors. I'm just glad they never ask me for help in the kitchen because their rules sound confusing. I'm the only one outside right now and throwing a rubber ball at the fence to play by myself. This holiday seemed kind of pointless to me besides the food and talking about our family that passed away. We can do that every day in the whole year, and we have their pictures to remember them then the parents and grandparents tell stories about them until you remember them all then keep going until you get a headache. I know the stories of some of my family by heart and one is pretty bad... My great, great, great grandma June.

(Y/N)'s mind-Still can't get over her story.

She was the most caring out of everyone in our family. She helped everyone without thinking of herself, was a nurse, and married a man she helped from being homeless. A few years before she died her husband did something called 'cheating' and her son became a criminal, so the stress killed her after she tried to help them too much. It's a really sad story. I got caught up in it but snapped out of it when I missed the ball coming back and it was heading for the ofrenda, so I ran after it.

(Y/N)-No, no, no, no, no, no, no, nooo!

I almost had it, but it knocked down a picture.

*Crack*

I caught the ball before it did anything else then checked the picture to see it was my great, great, great grandma June... There was a crack in the corner of the frame. I put the picture back where it belonged.

(Y/N)'s mind-Maybe nobody will notice.

I just put the ball up and ran back inside the house to be with everyone else then come out later tonight when we have a block party outside with music and some games like beanbag toss, darts, and stuff the neighbors have. We take this time to also look at the Ofrenda and my mom always quizzes me on who is who, but I wonder how tonight will go.

(No POV)

As the cracked picture of June (L/N) sat on the ofrenda a flower petal danced in the wind and then landed right on the crack. It sat there for a moment or two before a few more flower petals joined it on June's picture alone then started glowing. Something was happening and it called to someone in the afterlife.

???-Hm?

(Timeskip to Night)

((Y/N)'s POV)

A few of my family members put on face paint for the block party and when we heard the music outside that meant the party was starting. My mommy wanted me to eat some 'real food' before I went out and filled up on cookies and stuff that were not offerings, so I had to make sure an adult gave it to me to know that this was not an offering that the dead get first. Part of the road was closed off for fireworks that were cool to watch. Soon I went back to my house to get some more leftovers for dinner, but when I made it back home, on the way I bumped into someone and then looked to see a woman who took dressing up and makeup very seriously.

 Soon I went back to my house to get some more leftovers for dinner, but when I made it back home, on the way I bumped into someone and then looked to see a woman who took dressing up and makeup very seriously