Chapter Thirty-Three: Going Home

I woke up in our neighbor's guest room with my sister on the other side of the bed. I swung my feet to the side and sat up, my elbows on my knees, my hands behind my neck, and my head between my knees. I wondered why everyone seemed to be leaving us. First Dad, then Uncle Arty, and now Mom. I sighed and stood up. I fixed the quilt to cover my sister and gave her forehead a kiss before heading outside. I walked over to a nearby store. I walked in and the shopkeeper greeted me before handing me one of my instruments and giving me a key to a sound proof room them have. You see, ever since we moved here to live with Aunt Nina, I would come over here to the music shop Nina's friend owns and they would let my play. I smiled at the woman and she pulled me into a quick hug before letting me go and going to help a customer. I located the room easily enough and walked in the silent place. The door shut behind me with a satisfied click and I sat on the stool in the middle of the room, placing the guitar on my knee. My eyes shut and my fingers strummed over the familiar chords. My mouth opened as I began to sing a song I learned a while go, in hopes of preforming it to my mother.
"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it seems like they're here to stay. Oh I believed in yesterday. Suddenly it seems like I'm not half the man I used to be," I sang, my voice heavy with emotion as my fingers moved of their own accord. "There's a shadow hanging over me. Oh yesterday cam suddenly. Why she had to go I don't know she wouldn't say. I've said something wrong now I long for yesterday. Yesterday love was such an easy game to play, now I need a place to hide away. Oh I believed in yesterday," I finished, my voice racking slightly. A tear rolled down my cheek and I left it e as my fingers mover to the next note of a different song. I sat there playing for I don't even know how long. All I know is that my phone rang and it was Takashi who was the culprit of so. I stood up and answered. "Hello?"
"Where are you? Your sister is worried," Takashi said, worry in his voice as well.
"Sorry, I'll be back soon." I answered before I hung up and placed the guitar and key on the counter.
I ran home and opened the door to my neighbor's to see my sister with our suitcases next to her. Takashi was there too and he was talking with my Aunt and our neighbors. I walked in silently and Takashi looked over his shoulder at me, sending a small smile my way. I smiled weekly in response and he walked to me. His arms wrapped around me and so did my sister's and Aunt's. I personally wrapped my arms around my little sister who must be going through a lot right now. She sobbed and I patted her head as she cried. Her tears dried and she untangled herself from me, Aunt Nina, and Takashi's embrace. I gave Takashi a quick hug and he pecked the top of my head. My Aunt walked back to our suitcases and grabbed them.
"Time to go back home girls. Back to my apartment, " She said, a tearful smile on her face.
I nodded and grabbed my suitcase from her. Marie nodded as well and we all walked next door, back to Nina's apartment. I rested my head against the door frame of Mom's room and Nina said when the funeral and wake would be. Takashi stood next to me. My gaze traveled up to his and found it was filed with sadness. I walked towards him and hugged him, trying to tell it we all would be okay. He leaned down and kissed me, telling me the exact same thing my hug told him.