Chapter Thirty: Not As Easy As You Would Think

As soon as I opened our front door I knew something was off. Lights were on, the oven was on and it's timer was going off, something smelled like it was burning, and there were no sounds of my mom's wheelchair.
"Marie, go next door. Now!" I said, my eyes widening as I realized what must have happened.
Marie nodded and ran next door. I sighed happy that they offered this when they learned of my mom coming back home. I raced off to find out where my mom was and found her in the living room. She was in her wheelchair, a peaceful smile upon her lips, but her eyes were horribly dull. Just like Father's when he died. My eyes teared and I choked down the sob that threatened to make them all fall. My hand shakily reached for the house phone and I dialed my Aunt's work number. She answered almost immediately.
"Meara? Marie? What happened?" She asked.
"M-Mom's g-gone. I don't know how long, but I realized as s-soon as I came home. Marie went over t-to the neighbor's," I said, stuttering just a bit.
Nina didn't say anything for a moment then I heard her uneven breaths, "I'll be home soon. Just go to the neighbor's or take your sister out somewhere while I take care of this Meara. I'm so sorry," Nina finally said.
I didn't say anything back, I hung up the phone and tears rolled down my face as my heart broke. I merely grabbed the two bags my sister and I had packed before hand for this occasion and walked out to next door. The neighbors answered and I handed my sister our bags before heading back out to walk around for a bit. Hoping that the fresh air could clear my thoughts. 'Not as easy as you would think to try and be happy through all of this mom. I really hope you realize this, wherever you are now.' I felt something vibrating and it took me a moment to realize it was my phone.
"H-hello?" I answered, my voice cracking from the strain of not crying.
"Meara? You okay?"
My eyes widened. Of course Takashi had to call. Who else would just as soon as I fell like bawling my eyes out.
"H-hey T-Takashi," I mumbled.
"Where are you?" He asked.
I answered quietly and Takashi told me to stay where I was. Minutes later, a limo was pulling up besides the curb I was sitting at and Takashi stepped out. When our eyes found each others, I couldn't hold up any longer and new tears streamed down my face as I buried my head in my arms. Then it started to rain. Takashi didn't say anything, he just ran over and picked me up. He placed me in the back of the limo and just held me as I cried. It was a while until I stopped. I don't know how long I was crying for, but it must have been a while seeing how stiff my arms and legs were. Takashi wiped away the remaining tears on my face and handed me a bottle of water. I thanked him and took it. I took a few gulps and handed it back to him .
"T-thank you Takashi," I said, my throat sore now.
He nodded his head and pulled me close to him. My breathing evened out and my body relaxed as we sat there. I sat up after a few moments and smiled at Takashi.
"Thank you Takashi, just thanks for being there for me, " I said.
I leaned towards him and gave him a quick kiss before retreating to find that Takashi was the one slightly flustered this time. He looked at me confusedly, and I realized he must be curious about why I was crying. My smile fell and I looked down at my hands. Takashi's hand found mine own and I looked up at him. He looked at me and nodded, telling me it was okay to tell him.
"M-my mom died."