Chapter Two: What In The World Have I Gotten Myself Into?

-Present Time (Meara's POV)-

I woke up facing my new ceiling. We just moved out of our old house. It was too far away from the hospital and it held too many bad memories for mom. I sighed then got up. "Time to make sure Maria is up," I mumbled to myself. I stumbled into the room next to mine and smiled to myself. Maria's still asleep, all curled up in her blanket. Her brown hair framing her face. I walked over to her. "Hey it's time to wake up sis," I whispered. Her eyes open slowly and she smiles sleepily when her eyes focus. "Hi big sissy. Is it time for school?" She sits up and rubs her eyes. I laugh,"Yeah so you better get dressed. You don't want to miss your first day of school now do you?" Her head snaps up and she runs towards her dresser to find something to wear. I laugh at her eagerness and leave to get dressed myself. I get dressed in my brown shirt, a pair of jeans, and then grab a pair of socks and a hair tie. I walk into the bathroom and brush my hair into a ponytail. Then I put my socks on and go to the kitchen to make breakfast for Maria and I. When I come out of the bathroom however, Maria runs in behind me and closes the door. "Hey! Cereal okay for breakfast?" I yell through the door. "Yeah! Sounds good!" She replies. I smile and fill two bowls with cookie crisp. Maria came out of the bathroom and sat at the table while I was at my perch on the counter. "Excited for your first day?" I ask my younger sister. "Yeah! I can't wait to tell mom how it went!" She smiled. I smiled back. We moved to Japan from America for our mom. She has a form of cancer and we figured she would get better treatment here instead and this was where her sister lives. So she could get some better medicine and we could have a place to live while mom's in the hospital. "She would like that," I said. I looked over at the clock. "Oh chiz!!!! We gotta go!"I yelled. I grabbed my messenger bag that had my textbooks, keys, and wallet in it. I ran towards the front door and put on my sneakers on hurriedly. "Sis? Doesn't your school have a uniform?" Maria asks. "Yeah but the headmaster understands that I can't afford it with mom hospital bills and everything. I'll drive you to your bus stop and I'll pick you up there after school," I explained in a rush. She nodded and ran to my car. I locked the front door and jumped into the front seat. "Ready to go?" I ask turning on the ignition. She nods and I drop her off at her bus stop. I wave goodbye to her as I began the short drive to my new high school. 'Wish me luck dad. My last year of high school, in a new country, a new high school, and with a new language,' I thought to myself as the school came into view. My eyes widen as I realize something, 'It's pink, my new high school is pink. Ouran Private High School is a giant pink building. What in the world have I gotten myself into?'