Chapter Three: Dad, Do You See How Crazy These People Are?

I parked my car and hurried to the main office. 'It's really frustrating being the new kid in the middle of the school year, especially if it's in the last year of high school too,' I thought to myself as I dodged other students, 'And what's up with those yellow dresses? I mean like who's idea was that?' I finally spotted the main office. I ducked inside, ignoring the whispers of my soon to be classmates. The receptionist looks at me strangely then asks for my name which I give without missing a beat. "Oh yes, you're the music and literature scholarship student aren't you? Second scholarship student this year. Most of the students are heading to class now, if you want we can assign you a guide," She says looking back at her computer screen. "I'll be fine, my Aunt taught my sister and I the basics and still does when she has the time," I explained, "I'm sure I can find my way around here." She nods and hands me a schedule, "You don't have to start today but you're welcome to go to your classes to see what you'll be learning." I nodded and left to look for my first room.

-Three Hours Later (Lunchtime)-

I sighed, the first three classes I saw so far were science, math, and social studies. After lunch I have english, reading, art, music, and then I'm done for the day. 'At least I don't have to take gym or public speaking this year,' I compromise with myself. I was wondering around the school looking for a place where I could play in peace. In front of me was the only music room I've seen all day. I walked towards the door and as soon as my hand went towards the handle, the doors opened. A light blinded me and my hands went up to shield my eyes. My ears were meet with six different voices. The brightness died down and I uncovered my hands to see seven people. They don't seem to notice I'm there. 'Oh well, I'll find somewhere else to practice,' I start to close the doors but to my distress the make a squeaking sound, causing the seven people to look at me. I look at all of them during this. To the far right there are two boys, twins from the looks of it, with peach colored hair. Next to them is a guy with blond hair and purple eyes. In the chair in front of him is a girl with brown hair and eyes. 'I thought the girls were supposed to wear that yellow dress. Oh well, the headmaster probably let her wear the male uniform.' Next to her is a boy with blond hair, brown eyes, and is quite short. Behind him to the right is another guy with short black hair and glasses. The last person is quite tall, has spiked black hair, and dark gray eyes. "Oh look, it's another guy," One of the twins says. "What do you think he's doing here?" The other continues, his voice a tad bit higher than the other. My eyes widen slightly, 'So they think I'm a guy eh? This proves to be an interesting turn of events.' "Am I correct to presume your Meara Villacorta?" The guy with glasses asks calmly. I nodded and he continued, "Well It's a pleasure to have the american scholarship student in our club room." "Wait so your on scholarship here too?" The girl asks. I nodded again and let the guy with glasses fill them in. "He got in on his music and literature skills. His mother is in one of my family hospitals and his younger sister is in the elementary school, also on scholarships but on art and sports ones instead," He informs them, "He's eighteen and is in Honey's and Mori's class if I'm correct." "Really? Takashi is Meara-chan in our class?" The little blond boy asked. The taller blond cleared his throat, making the room go into silence before he began his rant on how I'm a legend for commoners in America. My eyebrow twitched and I could tell the girl was annoyed as well. "I'm not anything special so just leave me alone," I said curtly. He then faltered and sat down in one of the nearby corners. "Sorry about him. He doesn't take rejection very well. Oh my name's Haruhi by the way. The idiot who just made a fool of himself is Tamaki," The girl introduced. The guy with glasses stepped forward again and introduced, "My name is Kyoya Ootori. Welcome to Ouran Private High School." A arm found it's way around my shoulders, and another around my waist. "I'm Hikaru," The owner of the arm around my waist said. "And I'm Kaoru," The other one said. "And we're the Hitachiin twins!" They said together. I rolled my eyes at them and escaped their grasps. Only to be tackled by the short little blonde. "Hi I'm honey and that's Takashi but you can call him Mori," He chirped. I tried to get up but found that I couldn't without harming him. Mori must have realized this because he arrived seconds later to take Honey off of me. I waved hello to everyone then went to walk back towards the doors. This time I was stopped by Tamaki who has seemed to get over me rejecting him. He lifted my chin up with two finger and said, "We're the host club. You must have came in here to be a guest so who's it going to be? The strong silent type? The boy lolita? How about the mischievous type? Or the cool type? You could be wanting to see the natural type as well. Or maybe you're into a guy like me?"'Okay, that's it.' My knee went up into his stomach and he hid in his corner again. "Look, I'm not here for whatever the heck a host club is. I was looking for a vacant place to practice," I explained angrily. 'Okay Meara, time to calm down. It isn't wise to let your anger get the est of you right now.' "Wow, so it does talk. Surprise surprise," The twins taunted. I turned back towards the door by Kyoya's voice stopped me, "Well we'll be leaving to go to the school garden for today so you can practice in here if you would like." I looked back at him in shock. "Why would you offer me that? I just kneed your other member in the stomach," I said. He smirked, "He deserved it this time. After all, you did give him a warning." I smiled at this, "Okay, I'll practice after you guys leave. Until you do though, I'll set up." I looked over at the wall and saw seven lights, three on and four off. 'Wow, they need to either change the lightbulbs or get the money to pay the electric bill.' The host club soon left. By the time their footsteps faded down the hallway, I was ready to play.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpVKCKkz... (If you can, please listen to as you read, if you can't it's okay.)

I closed my eyes and took a big breath, confident the thick walls will keep my music from being heard from anyone in the hallway. Then I began singing, not noticing the incoming footsteps, nor the door opening. As I began to sing louder, I included my guitar. I wrote this piece a week after my father died. I loved him so much when he passed away. My pent up feelings added to the feeling of the song. Before I knew it, the song was over. My fingers relaxed and I kept my eyes closed, trying to sort through my feelings. Then, I heard the oddest thing. Clapping. My eyes shot open and right in front of me was the host club. Tamaki, the twins, and Honey all with tears in their eyes. Haruhi was looking at me curiously while Mori and Kyoya looked like they were examining me. I feel my cheeks heating up with embarrassment. Then with a tad of anger. "Sorry Villacorta-sempai, Honey-sempai forgot Usa-chan in here and we just came up here to look for him. We didn't mean to over hear your practicing," Haruhi apologized. "It's no problem. This is your club room anyway," I said calmly, my mental energy not at it's best to be angry, "Besides, you guys don't need to use honorifics with me. I barely remember what any of them mean. So you can call me Meara." Haruhi looked slightly startled but then she remembered that Japanese wasn't my first language. "Meara-chan? Can you play us another song?" Honey asked cutely. I looked down at him. 'Drat, he's giving me the same look Maria used to give me when she wanted me to play.' I bit my lip but then reluctantly agreed. I put my guitar away and sat at the piano I found earlier. I got out the music and played one of my favorite piano pieces.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvKwLMJJ...

As I played I tuned out the fact that there were other people there and focused on only my music. When I was done, I turned back to them and found them looking at me like they were when they first came into the room. I looked over at the wall to avoid their stares and noticed all the lights expect for one was on. 'I guess they fixed at least some of them. Odd that they left one unintended though.' I looked back at them just in time to be tackled by Honey and Tamaki."You must join the host club!" Tamaki cried. I stared up wide eyed at them. "Um Mori? Can you help me please?" I asked. He nodded and picked the two blondes up. "Are you going to join Meara-chan?" Honey asked me, drying his tears. "We can provide you a safe place to practice and we can assure that you get to your sister's bus stop when you need to," Kyoya bargained. I looked at them and realized they wouldn't give up. "Fine," I mumbled, "You win, I'll be in you club. As long as I get to choose what to play." Kyoya nodded and I left to get to my next class. 'Dad, do you see how crazy these people are?'